So the wife wakes me up to this

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Working nights this week and only got 4 hours of sleep when the wife woke me up and said that a truck just hit our fence in the front yard and took out the mail box. She said the truck kept going but he stopped about an 1/8th mile down the road. Turns out that a High School Senior took the curve to fast and lost control. He walked back to my house to check the damage. I expressed my anger about my girls who stand out close to fence in the mornings to catch the bus, then made sure he was ok. He was fine and the Tacoma was damaged some, but he was scared and nervous. I having a 19 yr old myself told him that I was glad he was OK. Cop showed up, did a statement and report. No tickets issued due to road conditions, and his dad gave all of his insurance info to get the fence repaired. This is the second time since March. I moved in the 2nd week of March, wonder what can be done to slow down the traffic in this curve. There is almost no bank here and some car/trucks fly around it.

IMG_20121206_163543.jpg

IMG_20121206_150958.jpg

IMG_20121206_150954.jpg

This is the curve.
IMG_20121206_163639.jpg

This is the damage from back in March the week before I moved in. Still waiting on the insurance company to fix this side. :mad:

IMG_20120310_174429.jpg

IMG_20120310_174500.jpg

The March accident was not so good for the driver, she hit the Big Pecan tree and left in an ambulance. Glad the teen driver was alright.

While the County Sheriffs Deputy was there he did take down the plate number on a Z28 that speeds by daily. I gave the nice Deputy permission to park in my drive if he wanted to do any observations. :D Would be such a big deal except I have 3 girls who play in the yard, I try to keep them out back. Im in the county about 1 mile from town and right between two subdivisions about 3 miles apart.

Stand out in your front yard and chunk a brick at the Z28 every time he speeds by i bet that will slow him down [ddd

Don't do that.....please....for your sake...

Guy just outside the city was tired of speeding up and down his road....one day he stood by the side of the road as the speeding car approached...slid a 4x4 out there and the driver swerved to avoid it and slammed into a tree....killed him and permanently crippled his passenger...the guy went to jail and was sued up the gump stump......please do not do that....
The county road commision should be able to put both speed limit signs up posting the appropriate speed and also put up a reflective barrier and or arrows advising of the turn....maybe a guard rail....but please do not put anything in roadway....:eek:....JMHO

I will check with the Road Commision, would love to have a small speed bump just before both sides of the curve. I hate them but they are effective in some areas. As long as my oil pans clear.

Whew!!!!

I will check with the Road Commision, would love to have a small speed bump just before both sides of the curve. I hate them but they are effective in some areas. As long as my oil pans clear.

Had me concerned there.....lol... by the way, great house man....very nice.

As it's a traffic problem, maybe you could consider a different type of fence.

A post and rail fence made entirely of railroad track might be just the thing.

Tell the insurance Co. you want the money and you'll fix it yourself. You might consider a heavier fence. I know it's brick, but maybe 2 foot thick, filled with dirt, and reinforced. The shrapnel looks to be the most dangerous. How many times has that fence been rebuilt in the past? I know where you should park cars you want to scrap!

Car buddy I know lives at a T on the end of a street with a gas station (beer sales). He has rebuilt his retaining wall at least 3 times a year, every year, for twenty plus years. Said he's made well over 10 grand on that wall

BTW, very nice house you have.

Thanks SGT, It was build in 1939 and built right. 2x12 floor both levels and 2x6 walls.

I have considered some buried railroad ties or rails for protection of vehicles coming into the yard. Really hate to take away from the original look, but it was a dirt road when it was built.

Sam the neighbors said that the fence has been hit numerous times in the last 20 years. Mainly due to the subdivisions that have popped up a couple miles north of the property.

Several places like that around my area and unfortunately the only thing that is very effective is some serious steel posts. Might be able to do steel posts and then lay brick around them to keep the look.

Car buddy I know lives at a T on the end of a street with a gas station (beer sales). He has rebuilt his retaining wall at least 3 times a year, every year, for twenty plus years. Said he's made well over 10 grand on that wall

LOL, yeah a neighbor of mine down the road has a farm that joins the highway in a turn. For years he financed all the fencing on his property from insurance money. One local insurance agent who seemed to have an abnormally high number of clients running through the fence once approached my neighbor and asked him if he would consider moving the fence back from the roadway. :rolleyes: My neighbor just laughed and said would you consider paying me for the lost pasture and come by once a week and mow between the fence and the road. :p Don't know if the agent had anything to do with it or not but there is guard rail up there now. :)

I would think you have cause to petition the county (or whoever has jurisdiction over the road) to declare this a dangerous curve and have a guardrail installed partially around the turn. Signs also would help.

I also wouldn't let my kids wait too close to the road for the bus.

Don

Guy just outside the city was tired of speeding up and down his road....one day he stood by the side of the road as the speeding car approached...slid a 4x4 out there and the driver swerved to avoid it and slammed into a tree....killed him and permanently crippled his passenger...the guy went to jail and was sued up the gump stump......please do not do that....
The county road commision should be able to put both speed limit signs up posting the appropriate speed and also put up a reflective barrier and or arrows advising of the turn....maybe a guard rail....but please do not put anything in roadway....:eek:....JMHO

Jeez I was just kidding although a couple of speed humps would be ideal once the Z28 bottoms out a couple of times he will slow down or take a different route

I was sure you were.....but in the last year

Jeez I was just kidding although a couple of speed humps would be ideal once the Z28 bottoms out a couple of times he will slow down or take a different route

some crazy crap has gone down around here.....we've lost 3 young kids in traffic crashes in the past 2 weeks....the lastest a 23 year old kid that was very close to my youngest son..almost like brothers......went thru school together from grade school and thru H/S.......it's scary.....the quickest way to die is to think you are going to live forever.... sad...very sad....

we were all there with the superman mentality but as we get older and look back we can see how irresponsible we were.

I'm glad to hear no one was injured... Thats a heavy duty fence, probably a good idea to keep it, stops them from hitting your house apparently...

Yep...when your a kid you are invincible....

we were all there with the superman mentality but as we get older and look back we can see how irresponsible we were.

As you get older you begin to realize your mortality.....sometimes I wonder how I got thru some of the crap I got into and didn't get hurt....guess that it wasn't my time.....just seems to be such a waste to lose somebody that young.....someone that hasn't even lived their lives yet....very sad indeed...

Latest posts

Back