Steering Box Ideas?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Im looking for a few ideas on doing my steering box. I going to be mounting my cab about 6-8 inches back from the original location. I really like the look of the steering that exits the side of the cab and goes down. Not sure what gear boxe to use. It will be manual steering of course. Here is the frame (53 AD). I dont have the steering column yet, plan on ordering it from speedway.

IMG_20121210_171955.jpg

IMG_20121202_183655.jpg

If you're wanting to do a cowl steering setup the best boxes to use are reversed corvair, early ford F100 reversed, or a bmw 2002 steering box. There are more that you can use but the corvair or f100 are probably the most common.

F100 box don't need reversed.

It looks like your factory gear box would work.

Hi Zpi28

I used the stock 1953 Steering box on my Chevy rat rod truck. I had to add a bracket to mount the back of the box. I also had to add a u-joint from Speedway and cut the stock steering column down to fit in the new lower firewall / cab. I also had to lengthen the drag link too. I bought some hollow round stock from speedway...cut the stock one in (drag link) half and once everything looked ok I welded the new pieces (hollow rod) in place. Not sure how it will work as I have yet to drive it. It did make the steering a lot tighter as far as turn to turn numbers.

I have pictures I think of some of the stuff I have done if you want to see them.

MikeC

Ill take a picture tomorrow, the person who sold me the frame had pulled the input shaft/gear out and I only have the box and output shaft/gear.

I don't know if it helps much but I started a steering box thread about the toyota steering boxes, which I am going to try to use on my rat...

Well that sucks. If it was me I would try to find a f100 box. They are usually reasonable in price and you won't have to do any work to them to use it on your ride.

Hey I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but has anyone ever thought about using a small industrial gear box ( speed reducer) . They are available in different ratios, worm drive , bi-directional, and have a number of input/output configurations. Just a thought.

In theory that would work but my concern would be the internal construction of it. What are the gears made of? What's the life expectancy of them? Would it handle the abuse of ruff roads jerking on it?
Just my concerns.

I don't know if it helps much but I started a steering box thread about the toyota steering boxes, which I am going to try to use on my rat...

Toyota box works well, I have modified the speedway cowl steering kit and used it on my first ratty. TT depot hack on an 87 toyo truck frame.

BMW box

I looked into those and they were expensive to use. There was a company advertising on the web that sold a whole kit, you supplied the box. Street Rodder magazine did an article on the install

That company is Gas Alley Streetrods, the kit is $200 and you supply the reversed corvair steering box.

Latest posts

Back