Need help Iding this differential

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpi28

Not sure if this is the standard 8.5 10 bolt or not. I pulled this from a 84 C10 6.2L Diesel, the yoke is what is throwing me off. Any idea if this is any good? Im going to pull the cover and see if its a LS or locker or Peg Leg.

IMG_20130105_140847.jpg

IMG_20130105_140855.jpg

IMG_20130105_141114.jpg

IMG_20130105_141047.jpg

does look like your typical chev truck, but i dont recal seeing one with a flange on it instead of a yoke. I wonder if its out of a motor home or some kind of van.

Thats a good drive shaft... double carden at each end 4x4 guys love them, dont recall seeing one of those in a truck as well. What was the wheel base.

It came out of this 84 Silverado LWB 1/2T 2wd. This truck originally had a 6.2L diesel but it was changed out with a 425 Cadillac that I pulled for my project.
IMG_20121230_160845.jpg

10 bolt should be 8.5" correct? They had a 14 bolt too I think with a 9.5 ring gear?

That 6.2 Diesel was a detroit diesel I think... that might have had some interesting factor...

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7387rpo1.htm

That should list you your axle ratio, or there should be an axle code on the passenger side axle tube stamped a little ways out from the center section...

I think thats a 2.73 axle... I don't think any of those were posi in the truck, according to the book, it says posi was an 8 7/8" ring gear?

Also below is a break out view of what I think is your axle:

Attachments

• 8452AI-424.jpg
    8452AI-424.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 8
Found my book:

TUM (2.73) non-locking
10 bolt cover
8-1/2" ring gear
11x2" brakes
Blazer 82 4x2
Chevrolet 10 pickup 82-83 conv.
cab, 4x2
GMC 1500 pickup 82-83 conv.
cab, 4x2
Jimmy 82 4x2

They have took the cv Yoke flange off of a passenger car 10 bolt and put it on the truck rear so that they could run that caddy driveshaft. Caddys are the only ones that ever saw come with that front yoke. They have zero benefit on the street. 4x4s and derby cars are another story tho.

They have took the cv Yoke flange off of a passenger car 10 bolt and put it on the truck rear so that they could run that caddy driveshaft. Caddys are the only ones that ever saw come with that front yoke. They have zero benefit on the street. 4x4s and derby cars are another story tho.

Great info, glad to know why this was on here. Good to know the Caddy's have these driveshafts.

Ive pulled the front upper Aarms,spindles,brakes, rear end, still got to get the steering column out. Giving the front cap to my dad for one of his projects. Got the truck loaded ready for the scrap yard.

Us northern folk would of killed for the body off of it. Lmk if ya come across if ya come across any other clean ones like that. I will be in your area in late march.

Eric

The floors are pretty much gone, but the outside is straight and solid. The tailgate is in very good shape as well but I dont need any of it. I can take you to a metal scrap yard that recycles cars and find you all the truck body you want to take for cheap.

The floors are pretty much gone, but the outside is straight and solid. The tailgate is in very good shape as well but I dont need any of it. I can take you to a metal scrap yard that recycles cars and find you all the truck body you want to take for cheap.

I will certainly be in touch when time gets closer.

Eric

Latest posts

Back