weld up lakestyle headers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measure a lot and make very precise cuts. Better to have too small a hole and have to open it up some than a big honking gap to fill with weld and look like crap. Take your time and go easy. They aren't that hard...

If they are like mine, they are flat, on the same plane except for the cone. Take advantage of a flat surface to tack that part together then tack the cone on.

Then turn the welder all the way up, close your eyes, and blast away!! NOT:D

pipes

Built these duel pipes from some bends and cones from speedway catalog,used a hand band saw and a mig welder. made the baffles from stuff from ace hardware...cheep and sound....
IMG_3873.jpg

nice looking dual set ups,

remember when you are getting ready to start on yours to completely bolt the flange tightly to the cylinder head or something similar that will keep it sraight , the first set i built a few years back, i didnt, and when they cooled they pulled away from the head on the center ports,(i only bolted the ends to the heads) end result i had to cut the center tubes and add some to them. to stop from having exhaust leaks. hope this helps. dp1

pipes

Dog patch is right on the money...during tack welding i had a nice 1 1/2 inch gap between the cowl and the cone.. after useing tacks to weld it up....it moved and was hitting the cowl...use thick flanges and look for round ports...the washers on these stingers are not the same size as the pic depics..they stop the flames from hitting the car behind you..Shane-O
IMG_3841.jpg

can I use my stock exhaust manifold flanges and weld to them?

I have a 8 ba flathead and I would like to cut the exhaust manifold pipes and weld on some zoomies......is this possible?..and is the front axle on a 45 ford cast or forged..another words can i weld to that axle?

I have a 8 ba flathead and I would like to cut the exhaust manifold pipes and weld on some zoomies......is this possible?

No. The stock manifolds are cast iron, unless someone has replaced them with headers at some point in time. Flatty flanges are everywhere and cheap. Spend a few bucks on a nice clean new set and save a lot of headache...

and is the front axle on a 45 ford cast or forged..another words can i weld to that axle?

All original Ford axles are forged, not cast. Why do you want to weld to it anyways?

Latest posts

Back