How to get patina worn look

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave50

I am wondering if there is a way to get the patina and worn rusted lok etc i have a cab thats black primer but idk if thats the look i want IK nothing of body work any hep guys i would appreciate it

Is this the truck?
attachment.php

What's the story on the truck? Looks like it's been out in the weather for awhile. Was it a low buck project that went unfinished and put out side?

That looks like exposed Bondo with rust around it. Bondo and regular primer don't seal out moisture (epoxy primer does). So if there was either covering bare metal there may be rust creeping under it. What that means is eventually the paint or Bondo would lift if it isn't already.

If you want rusty, get rid of the putty (sandblast maybe?) hose it with salt water and leave it out over the winter (assuming your in MA not NM).

My .02$.... mother nature does it best.

I cant see your pic but yeah the black primer 1 with bondo spots I am in mass and idk about the project other than it was never registered and was from a sand and gravel hot top company then a guy that worked there bought it and never finished it i guess the company bought it new

if you are talking about the half weathered paint half rust look i found out that a can of rusto and some cheap brushes do a great job of patchy and terrible paint. once dried take anything that ruines paint such as steel wool wire brushes and such... i find that sand paper doesnt really give the right effect. after that is all said and done you can take a mop with salt water and just go crazy over it all. a propane torch will speed up the process.

patina look

have you tried laying down a real think layer of red primer ,then spray a coat of black enamel over the primer, then take a wet lacquer rag & wipe the black off in places. follow body lines & wipe harder in places. not sure
exactly what you are looking for.

patina

this is all fake patina on the crush, i did a thread on here search "dug the crush out of the snow" and theres some info on one way to do it, the best part is if the new owner doesnt like it, its on top of the orange base coat and can be wet sanded right smooth off. dp1

Attachments

• crush lite.jpg
    crush lite.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 97
  • crush lite l.jpg
    crush lite l.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 95
  • crush rear.jpg
    crush rear.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 105
heres what i do,
1.red oxide primer
2.color of paint you what in a oil base
3.quart of naptha or the amount that you will need to mix with the amount of paint you will be using!
4 linseed oil!

1 apply red primer
2 mix paint and naptha , 60% paint to 40% naptha and apply
i like to use a bush for the streaking effect,
3 let set outside in sun for about 14 to 30 days,
4 whipe in down with the linseed oil!

the naptha will cause the paint to fade and chaulk up quick
the linseed will remove the chaulk and give it a semi flat luster, apply as needed! dont have to if you like the way it comes out, also you can wet sand thru or buff thru in places like edges! down to the red primer! note: this will not give a rust look but a faded paint look,
match the color of the paint on ya car close the naptha will do the rest! or if ya do the whole car it will look like its been setting in the sun for years!

Latest posts

Back