Polyethylene gas tanks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bango

I'm looking for opinions on polyethylene tanks. Anybody use these and what is good or bad about them? Thanks.

They don't rust but proper mounting is important because they can be penetrated more easily than a steel tank. If you plan to use a racing style fuel cell with bottom outlets you should build a steel pan to protect the fittings from being damaged from road hazards, ie Nascar style mounting.:D

When installed correctly, they are a lot safer. Better in crashes and if the car is in a fire (doesn't transfer heat to the fuel as fast).

I have a plastic 2005 chevy blazer tank in my truck.

I like them, have had no problems with any vehicle that ran them. Only thing wrong with them, there is no way modify the shape of a donor tank, at least not that I'm aware of. Not like steel, whack, slash, weld, bang, oops....start over!!

I have one from speedway mounted in my model A sedan , the round tube shape style , with a remote fill hose. This enabled me to mount the tank above the differential but below the sheetmetal . It's a pretty clean set-up and less expensive than the metal tank .

My '93 Ranger p'up has a poly tank, nice never rusts out. With over 150,000 miles of upstate NY salt and snow its one of the best parts left on the truck.

Be sure to install it inside a metal container, like we do on the circle track cars. Too vulnerable out in the open like that, in case of a hit. Also put some foam bars inside

Latest posts

Back