Protecting Polished Aluminum

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

I bought more polished aluminum goodies for my Hemi. Can I wash these with paint precleaner and then clearcoat them? Will it stick or peel off in the long run? or is there something better to use?
I love the look of polished aluminum, but I hate having to constantly clean and rebuff them with polishing cream.
What works best?[S
FrankR
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

We polished the buick brake drums on our rod and then clearcoated them with PPG Omni clear. The dash that we built was stainless and engine turned and my ol man just cleared it with rattle can clear. Both turned out good.

Only problem is some of the clears will yellow if they're exposed to a lot of sun, probably look for something thats as UV resistant as possible and cross your fingers, I don't have any brand suggestions, but love the look of polished aluminum.

Regards,

Rev. D.

Mothers makes some great Billet and aluminum polishes. I just spent last night doing my Edelbrock finned air cleaner with 000 steel wool and Mothers, then used the Powerball on it. Made a real difference. I would be afraid clears would dull especially on hot engine parts.

Don

Only problem is some of the clears will yellow if they're exposed to a lot of sun, probably look for something thats as UV resistant as possible and cross your fingers, I don't have any brand suggestions, but love the look of polished aluminum.

Regards,

Rev. D.

Yeah that could be true, probably worse if the part(s) gets too warm.

No doubt about it gentlemen. Rattle can clears yellow when used on ANY engine part. I like to use Eastwood powders as I've never had a problem with them. I don't do this for a living but I've been using the stuff for a while now. I like to take brand new aluminum intakes out of the box and clear them. Mostly I build serious street engines and block off heat to the intake, but they look great literally forever. I've done polished surfaces too Frank, it will stick, just make sure you thoroughly clean the surface after you polish it. I'd use pre-cleano or some other wax and degreaser.

Latest posts

Back