1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thought out and beautifully executed, zz.

After seeing the quality of work on your Packard I just went out to the garage and pee'd on my Rover project.

Well thought out and beautifully executed, zz.

After seeing the quality of work on your Packard I just went out to the garage and pee'd on my Rover project.

I just went out and set mine on fire :eek: You should have been here Bob.......maybe you could have put it out and saved my garage :p

Awesome work ZZ, you set the bar higher than I will ever be able to reach but it sure is inspiring. :cool:

Working on the drivers side door - you'd think it would go easier after practicing on the passenger side one but it has it's own unique differences - several relief cuts needed to get the upper frame to fit the shape of the opening - 'nother day of so to go to get it done.
Those rust dots on the door are BB gun hits from some long ago trigger happy kid, each one is a divot to be hammered out.

Attachments

• DSC01938.jpg
    DSC01938.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01940.jpg
    DSC01940.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC01941.jpg
    DSC01941.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 114
Finished welding up the drivers door and ground and sanded the welds.

Attachments

• DSC01947.jpg
    DSC01947.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01946.jpg
    DSC01946.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01945.jpg
    DSC01945.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01943.jpg
    DSC01943.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 96
What procedure do you use to grind the welds ?
Grinding wheel for the bulk ? then flap disc or sanding disc ?
Are you concerned with pin holes or does the body filler take care of them ?

Thanks

What procedure do you use to grind the welds ?
Grinding wheel for the bulk ? then flap disc or sanding disc ?
Are you concerned with pin holes or does the body filler take care of them ?

Thanks

Grind, then sanding disc. I always hold a light behind after to seek out the pinholes and weld 'em up, don't want moisture tyo get behind and lift the bondo....

Here's some outside pix with the fenders and grille von - headlights are just sitting there, I'll need to make some new pedestals for the as the stockers are way high.

Attachments

• DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01955.jpg
    DSC01955.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC01962.jpg
    DSC01962.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 119
That has some really cool lines! It's awesome to see it out of the garage and get a glimpse at your vision. You do great work and fast, I can't imagine it taking you that long to finish it if you work this fast all the time!

Thanks guys ! It's really inspiring to get to this stage where I can mock it up and get a look and see if it is holding true to the vision. Many tough miles to go but I see the light....:)

Attachments

• DSC01950.jpg
    DSC01950.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01957.jpg
    DSC01957.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC01964.jpg
    DSC01964.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01954.jpg
    DSC01954.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 248
attachment.php

Looking again at it, the firewall looks weird laid back like that... Have you thought of making it a bit more upright by stretching underhood part of the cowl at the top? As a benefit it would look better if you chose to drive it without the hood, and you would get more under-dash space...

Just a thought, it might not be worth the effort for such a minor nitpick.

The car looks great though! Are you planning on running hood sides or just the top?

Where did you get that air cleaner? I'm looking for a similar "scoop" style air cleaner for my truck...

[/IMG]

Looking again at it, the firewall looks weird laid back like that... Have you thought of making it a bit more upright by stretching underhood part of the cowl at the top? As a benefit it would look better if you chose to drive it without the hood, and you would get more under-dash space...

Just a thought, it might not be worth the effort for such a minor nitpick.

The car looks great though! Are you planning on running hood sides or just the top?

Where did you get that air cleaner? I'm looking for a similar "scoop" style air cleaner for my truck...

Well, I guess we all see things differently - the angle of the cowl/firewall is one of my fav things about this body style - lots of under dash space. If you compare it to a 38-41 body, they have a squared off firewall that just doesn't look so nice.
Yes, I'll be running hood sides, more custom tricks to come yet.
The air cleaner is one I made for my Black Rat 55 project that didn't make the final cut - wall art :)

Latest posts

Back