1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my gas tank mostly built. It's built from 18ga. steel, has 2 internal baffles to control slosh, 3/8" pickup and 5/16" vent, 2" fill pipe, capacity is 20 gal. IMP or 24 gal. US. The sender hole has a dummy plate on it so I can pressurize the tank and check for leaks.

Hey ZZ , with the legs on that gas tank, you think it will still fit in the car? ;) [cl. Nice work!

I wish I had your skills.... Now I have to go find this other build of yours to look at as well!
Search 1934 Cadillac in the builds section.

Hey ZZ , with the legs on that gas tank, you think it will still fit in the car? ;) [cl. Nice work!
Good one [cl[cl
Nice work on the tank! You make that look way too easy... Where's the tank going to be mounted?
It'll mount directly under all the junk in the trunk, inside the frame rails.

The dash on this car had been gutted so rather than tracking down all the original parts and trim, I cut it out completely and started fresh. I wanted to make something different and give it more "Packardness", so I made a small center grille frame with a distinctive Packard profile and started building the dash from there. The side panels will be removable for access and I plan to finish it off with a stainless grille insert. Once I get some seats mounted, I may also make a small console to tie into it

Attachments

• DSC02060.jpg
    DSC02060.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02062.jpg
    DSC02062.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02064.jpg
    DSC02064.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02066.jpg
    DSC02066.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 118
The dash on this car had been gutted so rather than tracking down all the original parts and trim, I cut it out completely and started fresh. I wanted to make something different and give it more "Packardness", so I made a small center grille frame with a distinctive Packard profile and started building the dash from there. The side panels will be removable for access and I plan to finish it off with a stainless grille insert. Once I get some seats mounted, I may also make a small console to tie into it

Your work makes me feel like I should just stop trying to build ;).

Awesome work, that dash really suits the car, and those gauges look awesome!

Thanks all.
Got a little more done today, passenger side piece made and welded in - tough part was making it match the drivers side...
After looking at the old dash, I realized I had the original glove box lid and the shape is close to the new panel so I'm going to graft the whole lid and surrounding flange into it.

Attachments

• DSC02067.jpg
    DSC02067.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC02070.jpg
    DSC02070.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC02071.jpg
    DSC02071.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 127
I like the dash idea. The Lincoln Zephyr waterfall is one of my favorites. This has a whole lot of that in it, but tweaked to a Packard [cl[cl[cl

I like the dash idea. The Lincoln Zephyr waterfall is one of my favorites. This has a whole lot of that in it, but tweaked to a Packard [cl[cl[cl

Yeah, I had the Zephyr dash in mind when this design came to me while lounging under a palm tree in Az this winter....

Got the original glove box lid and surround grafted into the dash. I was going to fill in the clock delete plate and trim but now that I see it on there, I think I'll keep it - sort of a blending of original and new.
Now I need to get some stainless stock and make the grille for it.

Attachments

• DSC02072.jpg
    DSC02072.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC02075.jpg
    DSC02075.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC02076.jpg
    DSC02076.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02077.jpg
    DSC02077.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 97
Looks amazing as usual!

Not to criticize any ones work..... especially some one who has far better/more skills than I could ever dream to, but.... and I am sure this is some sort of optical illusion...... but the center of the dash, is it lower on the right side than the left??

Latest posts

Back