1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuned in as usual! [P[P[P

That garnish piece for the rear window looks perfect... how long did that take you to make? [S

Thanks! It took a couple hours or so due to the trial and error process of making something for the first time [;)[S... if I ever need to make another, the lessons learned will make it faster. :)

Working on all the behind the scenes things that make it possible to do a fully upholstered interior - that is, create in metal what was once all wood framing. Roof supports, interior light mount, channel surrounding the top to hold a tack strip to staple the edges of the headliner onto, sheetmetal framing behind the seat to attach panels to. Also made the headliner bows from 1/4" SS rod and the pockets to hold their ends in place.
Basically a bunch of fiddly time consuming stuff that will never be seen but necessary nonetheless ....

Attachments

• DSC02104.jpg
    DSC02104.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02102.jpg
    DSC02102.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02101.jpg
    DSC02101.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02098.jpg
    DSC02098.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02096.jpg
    DSC02096.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 93
Looks really good. Man you sure do work fast. I wish i could accomplish half as much as you do in the same amount of time. Im a slow a** haha :D

I swear you have got to have some little Evils that help you when you are sleeping!:rolleyes:
Very nice, very very nice. I still can't get over that dash[dr

I'm anxious to see this all painted and upholstered. Have you got colors picked out yet?

You'll have to be patient, lots of fab work to do yet... I'm a creature of habit I guess when it comes to colour - BLACK

Looks great. When are you going to start on the ft end? Are you still planning on making your hood? Im looking for ideas for mine.

I need to finish the inside fab work then mount the doors (suicide) plus all the stuff that goes in and on them -window motors, tracks, handles, etc. Then I'll be starting on the fenders, starting at the rear and working forward. I'm going to make new running boards, front fenders need to be modified due to their 5" forward location - then I'll get onto making the hood sides and the front opening hood. Couple pics are of firewall mounted hinges I need to make - the burnt car (37 Packard) had a one piece hood top made - sad end to that one... Sooo much to do....

I swear you have got to have some little Evils that help you when you are sleeping!:rolleyes:
Very nice, very very nice. I still can't get over that dash[dr

The upside of retirement is being able to get some time in on it daily - I actually have a hard time sleeping sometimes 'cause it's constantly on my mind, designing things mentally and problem solving.

Attachments

• 1code 074 (Small).jpg
    1code 074 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 195
  • 12187541_7X.JPG
    12187541_7X.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 12187541_1X.JPG
    12187541_1X.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 129
You'll have to be patient, lots of fab work to do yet... I'm a creature of habit I guess when it comes to colour - BLACK

I need to finish the inside fab work then mount the doors (suicide) plus all the stuff that goes in and on them -window motors, tracks, handles, etc. Then I'll be starting on the fenders, starting at the rear and working forward. I'm going to make new running boards, front fenders need to be modified due to their 5" forward location - then I'll get onto making the hood sides and the front opening hood. Couple pics are of firewall mounted hinges I need to make - the burnt car (37 Packard) had a one piece hood top made - sad end to that one... Sooo much to do....

The upside of retirement is being able to get some time in on it daily - I actually have a hard time sleeping sometimes 'cause it's constantly on my mind, designing things mentally and problem solving.

WOW! Did that roadster get scrapped? why should it be a sad end? Looks like perfect street rod makings to me. I would love to come across something like that or a coupe!

WOW! Did that roadster get scrapped? why should it be a sad end? Looks like perfect street rod makings to me. I would love to come across something like that or a coupe!

Why was that the end to that 37?? It looks really fixable! With your skills anything is fixable.

Fire wreaks havoc on metal panels, especially seeing as it was hot enough to burn all the paint, tires, and everything else. While it does look fixable, I'm betting that nearly every panel is warped or misshapen. In addition, at those temperatures the steel probably lost a lot of its strength as well.

Why was that the end to that 37?? It looks really fixable! With your skills anything is fixable.

I stumbled across it online - built by Jim "Bones" Noteboom - it burned in 2011 on the way to the Sacramento Autorama, also saw an old auction ad for it around that time hoping to get over $100,000 for it in that condition. Burnt bodies are really tough to bring back, especialyl something one off like this - everything is so seriously warped and tweaked. Check out the brass side moulding hanging off the pass. door, the aluminum windshield posts are just puddles on the running boards.

ZZ, who makes these hinges?

attachment.php

I googled 'hot rod billet hood hinges' and found them. Sachse Rod Shop makes and sells them, also found a guy on ebay that sells the plans - I think I may be able to make them from the pics.

Attachments

• Zoot_Zooter-Small-550x367.jpg
    Zoot_Zooter-Small-550x367.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Bones_Noteboom-1-Small-550x367.jpg
    Bones_Noteboom-1-Small-550x367.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Bones_Noteboom-3-Small-550x367.jpg
    Bones_Noteboom-3-Small-550x367.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Hinges015.jpg
    Hinges015.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 97
  • !BkDNs+QBGk~$(KGrHqYH-D4Es+yzWvBoBLV8r4nGhw~~_35.JPG
    !BkDNs+QBGk~$(KGrHqYH-D4Es+yzWvBoBLV8r4nGhw~~_35.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 82
  • art30b.jpg
    art30b.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 71
Trailering your car is embarassing enough, but having it burn while trailering :( I realize he was going to autorama so the trailering is forgiven.

ZZ, is that $100,000 in as-burnt condition?

Those hinges wouldn't be too hard to make. Since there's already a measuring tape on that photo for scale I will try to do up a solidworks drawing for it when I get some free time.

that is a sad end.. burned in the trailer.. electrical short???

I got a battery cut off wired in mine... going to throw the switch when parked stored..etc... its kinda hidden too so its an anti theft as well.. lol

I had the plans from ebay and got all the pieces cut. Then I lost the plans, now they are boxed up on the shelf.

If you guys come up with a DXF file I'll cut out the parts in either mild steel or aluminum.

Latest posts

Back