1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time gettin them in the sun seems like it starts their heart to beat and they start to take on some new character.

ZZ, I was wondering where you were sharing your pics of your builds. I just found this site and there is some talented guys on here. The 34 Cadillac turned out great. I never saw it finished over at the other site. This current build is as always amazing. I can hardly wait for the grill and the hood ornament. The flying eye on the Cadillac was an incredible piece of artwork. I am glad this site lets you show your builds all the way. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for all the pics

ZZ, I was wondering where you were sharing your pics of your builds. I just found this site and there is some talented guys on here. The 34 Cadillac turned out great. I never saw it finished over at the other site. This current build is as always amazing. I can hardly wait for the grill and the hood ornament. The flying eye on the Cadillac was an incredible piece of artwork. I am glad this site lets you show your builds all the way. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for all the pics

Thanks! Yeah, the mod at KB pulled the 34 Caddy build because it was 'off topic' - in other words, censored for turning out shiny. That's what makes RRR so cool, freedom of expression is encouraged and there is a place for everyone.

Before starting to put on the front end, I need to get the airbags operating 'cause I can't get a jack under it to work underneath. Though the Heidts front end seems well engineered, the air bags are kinda small, actually more of a compromise retrofit for their coil spring kit. Bigger bags need less psi to lift and give a softer ride, so I'm installing a pair that are the same as the rear ones - 7" dia. instead of the 5 3/4" dia. ones on it now. Another thing that bugged me was the 1/4" air fittings and the fact that they were barely accessable through a notch in the backside of the mount. Solved all that, new bags mounted and the lines now come out the top, easier to install and maintain.

Attachments

• DSC02215.jpg
    DSC02215.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02217.jpg
    DSC02217.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02218.jpg
    DSC02218.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02214.jpg
    DSC02214.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 105
Bag system looks great ZZ.
And not really knowing much about them your post was very informative in regards to the difference in bag sizes.
Like everyone else looking forward to seeing this creation with the front sheet metal on.[P
Torchie.

Thanks! Yeah, the mod at KB pulled the 34 Caddy build because it was 'off topic' - in other words, censored for turning out shiny. That's what makes RRR so cool, freedom of expression is encouraged and there is a place for everyone.

Before starting to put on the front end, I need to get the airbags operating 'cause I can't get a jack under it to work underneath. Though the Heidts front end seems well engineered, the air bags are kinda small, actually more of a compromise retrofit for their coil spring kit. Bigger bags need less psi to lift and give a softer ride, so I'm installing a pair that are the same as the rear ones - 7" dia. instead of the 5 3/4" dia. ones on it now. Another thing that bugged me was the 1/4" air fittings and the fact that they were barely accessable through a notch in the backside of the mount. Solved all that, new bags mounted and the lines now come out the top, easier to install and maintain.

Those new bags look huge compared to the ones that came with it, but I agree with your reasoning for the change and hope it smooths out the ride.

Out of curiosity, was there any clearance issues with putting in the larger bags? Do you run hard line for your air bags?

Those new bags look huge compared to the ones that came with it, but I agree with your reasoning for the change and hope it smooths out the ride.

Out of curiosity, was there any clearance issues with putting in the larger bags? Do you run hard line for your air bags?

I think it's just 'cause the original bags are so tiny.... Yes, I had to trim the sides of the spring towers a bit and redrill the mount holes to move the bags 5/8" inward.

Starting on the right front fender rehab/modifying, trimmed back the wheelwell edge like on the rear ones, you can see the third pic how much the rear of the fender will need to be extended to mate up to the lower cowl edge, due to their 5" forward from stock location. Last pic is the drivers side fender - that's daylight showing through :mad: - lots of metal to replace :(

Attachments

• DSC02222.jpg
    DSC02222.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02224.jpg
    DSC02224.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02225.jpg
    DSC02225.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02220.jpg
    DSC02220.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 96
Bag system looks great ZZ.
And not really knowing much about them your post was very informative in regards to the difference in bag sizes.
Like everyone else looking forward to seeing this creation with the front sheet metal on.[P
Torchie.

Same here. In fact, very similar experience with my Jag front, as clearance only allowed the 5" Slam Spec. bag (5.5" OD). I now know what I might have to do to get around the 170 psi needed to get them to a safe driving height. May have to start looking at clearances...

Thanks for the tutoring ZZ!

And I don't know half of what you are doing, but it sure is turning out nice.

John L.

I'm glad you're showing all the suspension stuff [cl
I'm thinking of doing an air bag setup on my 48 GMC and have never done one before [P
If you posted the manufacture of the bag system, I missed it so forgive me if this is a rerun of what you already posted. Are you using Ride Tech or who ?

Seeing the info about bags is cool. I know squat about that and it might come in handy. That's a cool old Packard ZZ...

I'm glad you're showing all the suspension stuff [cl
I'm thinking of doing an air bag setup on my 48 GMC and have never done one before [P
If you posted the manufacture of the bag system, I missed it so forgive me if this is a rerun of what you already posted. Are you using Ride Tech or who ?

The kit I'm using is from Airbagit.com. I know some people don't think highly of their products, but I've had no problems, this is the second time using their system. Yes, most of the components are "offshore" parts, but what isn't these days? I like the compact valve block it has and it's really hard to beat the pricing.

Rust repair --- I thought the right fender was pretty solid but closer inspection showed a bunch of pinholes, had to replace a 5"x20" section. Left fender is much worse, I got one section tacked in with another larger piece yet to be cut out beside it. This is the result of the good ol' days driving on tar and gravel roads - it got stuck on the inside of the fenders, water got between and the rust worms moved in....
This is where my Eastwood planishing hammer is handy for forming the curved shaped patch panels.

Attachments

• DSC02229.jpg
    DSC02229.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC02227.jpg
    DSC02227.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02226.jpg
    DSC02226.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 115
The kit I'm using is from Airbagit.com. I know some people don't think highly of their products, but I've had no problems, this is the second time using their system. Yes, most of the components are "offshore" parts, but what isn't these days? I like the compact valve block it has and it's really hard to beat the pricing.

Rust repair --- I thought the right fender was pretty solid but closer inspection showed a bunch of pinholes, had to replace a 5"x20" section. Left fender is much worse, I got one section tacked in with another larger piece yet to be cut out beside it. This is the result of the good ol' days driving on tar and gravel roads - it got stuck on the inside of the fenders, water got between and the rust worms moved in....
This is where my Eastwood planishing hammer is handy for forming the curved shaped patch panels.

Wow, awesome work!

The more I see that body together the more I see it in a Champagne colour or Champagne and Silver colour [dr. It will look good in any colour and I know you're partial to black, just my mind working...

Rust repair to the left fender is done so I bolted the grille shell in and started work on lining things up. Using a string line to center it, blocks to set height, much measuring to be done yet before I can make the center mount in front of the rad right over the steering rack. Major thing to get right is the height of the fenders and grille so the hood slopes down properly, also to get tire clearance when it is at full drop like this. I also need to make the underside fender braces that tie to the rad support, curve over the tires and bolt to the top of the outside fender lip.

Attachments

• DSC02231.jpg
    DSC02231.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02236.jpg
    DSC02236.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02235.jpg
    DSC02235.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02233.jpg
    DSC02233.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC02239.jpg
    DSC02239.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 106
Nothing like the simple tools to keep things looking right. A string really comes in handy eh? Looking great zz!!!

I'm interested to see what you'll do with flowing the hood into the top of that grill shell.

The grill looks much more angular than the rest of the lines of the car.

I really like the smooth sleek lines with occasional near-sharp edges, like on the fenders.
[P

That is looking great! I"ve been waiting to see how you do the ft.end+hood. I dont think most people realize how big the fenders and grill shell are. Packards are xx-large.Keep up the great work!!

I'm interested to see what you'll do with flowing the hood into the top of that grill shell.

The grill looks much more angular than the rest of the lines of the car.

I really like the smooth sleek lines with occasional near-sharp edges, like on the fenders.
[P

That is looking great! I"ve been waiting to see how you do the ft.end+hood. I dont think most people realize how big the fenders and grill shell are. Packards are xx-large.Keep up the great work!!

Yes, the grille is big and angular, but that is probably the defining feature of Packards from the late 20's thru the early 40's. If you had a side by side lineup of all makes of 1936 cars, a Packard is immediately recognizable without seeing a nameplate. Also sometimes referred to as having a 'tombstone' shape....

Doesn't look much different but it took a bunch of hours of tweaking, measuring, welding, grinding, and mental strain to get to this stage.
Problem was tire clearance in turns, no way to avoid contact until lifted to slightly above ride height.
First part of the solution was to radius the wheelwells, I used a piece of 3/4" tubing split in half to form the new edge (actually an improvement over the thin old edge that had several repairs due to cracks).
Still not enough clearance :mad:
I split the grille and rad support to widen them 2", thereby moving each fender outboard 1", problem solved. I still have to do a 1/2" pie cut to the top of the grille shell to get the front peak to slope down a bit. Now I can get the rad support mount made and build the underside fender braces. Unless you held up a stock grill to the shell, it's hard to tell it's wider and since I'm going to make a new stainless grille anyway, it's no big deal. Side benefit is that I can now use a rad that is 2" wider.

No work tomorrow, it's Canada Day [cl, off to a car show....

Attachments

• DSC02241.jpg
    DSC02241.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02243.jpg
    DSC02243.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02242.jpg
    DSC02242.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02244.jpg
    DSC02244.jpg