Flat head Ford vacume.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
How much vacume can I expect to get from my 52 Mercury flathead? It's stock. I'm looking at the possibility of a seven inch vacume booster for my brakes. I like the simplicity of manual disc/disc, but am exploring options. I don't want a vacume pump or reservoir.

Can't give you an exact amount gold but here is a link from the Ford Barn that address that issue.
I know that some of the larger trucks around your trucks era were fitted with a brake booster of some sort but may have been some sort of Hydro-Vac system. I am not sure in regards to pulling vac directly from the manifold. I know you don't want to but You may have to add a vac tank.
Hope this help.
Torchie.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134166&highlight=power+brakes+flathead

Thanks Torchie? I had hydro boost on another vehicle. It worked great. The aftermarket system is a little pricey though.

I should have measured engine vacume before disassembling, but live and learn.

The truck has power brakes from factory. I can't recall the name of the system. Rebuilds are available, but I am switching to disc/disc and want dual MS system. I'm likely getting manual system with a Corvette MS. Speedway sells one with four outlets for location options.

If you don't have enough, you can always add an electric vacuum pump.
I think most of the Chevy vans had the hydraboost system.

Latest posts

Back