Which oil pan?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
Seriously thinking about pulling the 5.3 out of my stalled fargo project and sticking it in the studebaker. What is currently "the" cheap oil pan to buy for better clearance?

....but it hangs way down. With the studebaker hood being so low, the motor is going to have to sit low in the chassis. I think I will need more ground clearance.

GM Muscle car pan is $200. Holley 302-1 looks like it has more clearance but it is $389. Any other options?

Later model truck pans are an inch shorter than the early ones. You would need an 08 + truck pan. F body is the shallowest on the rear sump but the sump is long front to back. The holley pan is slightly longer height wise and shorter lengthwise. CTS-V is thinner at the front then an F body but is slightly deeper at the back. Could just get an 01-07 truck pan and cut it to fit. That has been done as well.

OK. Just yanking your chain anyway Flipper.:D

I saw a Stude just like that with stock front suspension and a SBC, is the Jag crossmember taller?

This studebaker had been *******ized by a previous owner (maybe multiple owners). Going jag got me modern geometry, rack and pinion that was made for the suspension, and pretty good brakes in one neat package.

However, that neat package is rear steer.

Original Stude was a weird setup with a drag link up to a bell crank to which the tie rods were hooked, also rear steer. Jag would be an improvement for sure.

Putting a 5.3 in my studebaker...originally was going to use the corvette pan but it’s super pricey even for a used one, fbody pan is way cheaper and only an inch difference from the vette pan....this pic is just the motor sitting in place with the truck pan still on, it’ll be a few inches lower

Attachments

• 34A37A9F-D448-49D7-92D2-2901AB708F9E.jpg
    34A37A9F-D448-49D7-92D2-2901AB708F9E.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 21
When I put the LS3 in my Chevelle in '09... the oil pan was a problem too & at that time there weren't many options. Finally had to spring for one that cost $650. About a year later they were down to less than $400. I feel your pain! :eek:

BoB

Attachments

• LS3.jpg
    LS3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back