Old Tractor, Twin City.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read from start to finish. Not being a tractor guy, it kept my attention very well, thanks [cl:cool:
[P[P[P
Oh yea, the part about turning over the engine with the flywheel and snapping mag, brought up a memory.
When I was 13 (1964), Dad bought a 1939 John Deere and restored it. Naturally, I tried to start it when he was gone, wore myself out spinning the flywheel as hard and fast as I could, to no avail :mad:
Dad gets home and I asked him to start the engine, he gets hold of the flywheel and slowly turns it till it clicked and released it, bang off she went :eek::eek:[cl:cool:

Last edited:
My old neighbor had a small dozer that started the diesel motor with a small gas pony motor. It was always harder to get the gas motor running than starting the diesel. My old Case VAC was pulled from a pasture where it had been sitting for 8 years. Block was cracked at the waterline. No problem. Wheels were so rusty you could see thru them. I winched it up on my trailer a hauled it home. Took the tires off and tubes. Got new tubes. Fiberglassed the rims along with welding strips between the inside and outside rims because they were mostly separate now.:rolleyes: Wrapped the inside of the rims with tape and put the new tubes and old tires back on. I didn't even change the plugs. Went in cleaned up contacts, fuel tank and carb. Never charged or changed the old 6 volt battery. Flip the switch. Had a crank handle. Rolled the motor till I felt compression and pulled it thru. It popped. Couple more pulls and it ran just fine. Put 5 years of hard work on that guy before I changed tractors.

Thanks for the memories, Guys.
Joe, maybe we're all more purist in the old tractor club, but we're not pure purist. I, for one, really don't like to see an alternator on an old tractor. I wonder if the reason there is less finger pointing and whining in the tractor clubs, is that most of the old tractor guys built their own tractors so they know what it takes to get some old rusty iron up and running. My impression of old car 'cognoscentis' is that most of the more vocal ones have only got coffee-shop wisdom. Lots of coffee-shop wisdom,-----and no life in the real world.
My response to a 'cognoscentis', problem pointing is, "You just bring your car up beside mine, sir, and I'll start judging it." Usually there is no adequate response from the judgmental blowhard.

Last edited:
Here are some starting devices;
Hand crank on a 1927 Twin City.
Hand crank on a 1946 Cockshutt, [An Oliver painted red, sold by Cockshutt]
Turn this big flywheel and start the 1928 John Deere 'D'
The last two pictures are a cute little V-four gas engine sitting on top of the crankshaft housing and able to engage the flywheel and start the big diesel motor. This is on a 730 John Deere, the last year of the two cylinder JDs.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 26
My response to a 'cognoscentis', problem pointing is, "You just bring your car up beside mine, sir, and I'll start judging it." Usually there is no adequate response from the judgmental blowhard.

amen to that! I quit going to local (and not so local) shows because of all the loud mouths who havent ever held a grinder or built anything walking up and telling me "what ya shoulda done is" or even better "what I woulda done is". :rolleyes:

I always tell them to get busy and I will see them next year.

amen to that! I quit going to local (and not so local) shows because of all the loud mouths who havent ever held a grinder or built anything walking up and telling me "what ya shoulda done is" or even better "what I woulda done is". :rolleyes:

I always tell them to get busy and I will see them next year.
I tell them it could be yours for $XX,XXX.XX. Then you can fix all my mistakes. :D

haha thats great!

man look at that old tractor go! great work MM

When you put a 100 year old tractor back to work, you couldn't have done much wrong....great work Mac!

^^^^ Al of the above^^^^^ [cl :D :cool:
Including the comments about the know-it - all's [ddd
Every time i see some one driving an old tractor the theme song from "Green Acres" pops into my head.....:eek:
Torchie

Don't know much about antique tractors. There's one tractor/car show every fall near me and I spend my time looking at the tractors. Spent my youth on my Grandpa's turkey farm running a John Deere B cultivating and hauling feed to the turkeys in the field. Good times.

I'm glad you're keeping that heavy metal alive.

After a little test drive at Darren's place, we worked it by hooking onto a John Deere 'R', pretending to pull-start it. [pic 1] We actually pulled that other tractor up and down the county road for a mile. Then I loaded it up and brought her home, [pic 2]. Here is my son-in-law, Rodney and me driving it into my shop, [pic3] to start the next part of the saga, painting.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Twin City home.jpg
    Twin City home.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 43
Thanks guys.
And Smallfoot, you could call it a rat tractor up until this point in the story, but, I still prefer Undead Sled. After running it into my shop, I have spent a lot of time and cursing, slicking this rat up. Don't ever try this at home, guys. Sand blasting a whole tractor with a little pot sandblaster is horribly painful. If you leave the air pressure between 70 and110#, you will get sand coming out, but the track it creates is about the width of a blunt crayon. Imagine colouring a whole tractor with a crayon. If you crank up the air pressure to 150# to where the safety valves are popping off, then turn it back a couple of pounds, you will get double the production. Anyhow, save a lot of time, money and stress, just go to the professional sandblaster and get him to do it and pay the bill, happily. I probably used over two thousand dollars worth of sand. Here are some sandblasting pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 28
$2000 worth of sand? Man, some things you just don't realize about other places until another person brings it up. I have a bucket with a screen. I go anywhere around here I don't mind digging in and whatever is not covered with concrete and dig all the pure silica sand I need to blast with...never purchased any blasting media of any kind. I used to blast from a pot but usually use one of the cheap single blasting guns with a built in can...looks like a paint spray gun. Got it at Tractor Supply for about 20 buck snorts. I don't generally have to do large jobs though.

Smallfoot, I had to screen two thirds of the sand I used, too, but I didn't make a small screening plant so I had to screen it by hand. I had got a better deal on 12 cubic yards of sand that had oversize pieces in it, but I bought a thousand dollars worth of bagged sand, also. We have no natural sand on my farm, and my pile of partly oversized sand got wet every time it rained and then froze solid in the winter.
Your right to think it's OK to sandblast small pieces. I do carbs, other castiron things and even tin stuff. Oh, and you can't call my tractor a rat after this far into the story.
Bama, Thank you and yes that is a '79 Kenworth, a good old girl called Baby. [One driver that I had on it thought I babied it]. This is the thirty-ninth year I've been running it. I have put the bulk of the hours on it but I had two other guys driving sometimes. [35,000 hrs].

Latest posts

Back