48 F1 LinkFord project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang fine looking truck. I hope the PO was a good engineer so you'll have a solid runner. Please don't take the hood off and throw it away. That will make your truck look out of proportion. Any vehicle with a deep hood looks lost without it on, in my humble opinion.
I agree with you about the wheels, they need changing.

Dang fine looking truck. I hope the PO was a good engineer so you'll have a solid runner. Please don't take the hood off and throw it away. That will make your truck look out of proportion. Any vehicle with a deep hood looks lost without it on, in my humble opinion.
I agree with you about the wheels, they need changing.

The hood will stay.

Thank you.
I have a, one era newer truck, than you and the hood hinges on it were invented to 'build character' in their owners. I think your hinges will be better than that, but may need some fixing, too.

Attachments

• car inventory 013.jpg
    car inventory 013.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 25
Thank you.
I have a, one era newer truck, than you and the hood hinges on it were invented to 'build character' in their owners. I think your hinges will be better than that, but may need some fixing, too.
I love seeing the Mercury name on trucks.

Would it throw you off your stride Skip, if I told you that is not even an F-100?
No, No, No. ---------
It's an M-100.

Attachments

• IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thank you.

Would it throw you off your stride Skip, if I told you that is not even an F-100?
No, No, No. ---------
It's an M-100.

I'd gladly give your M-100 a home out of the cold when you get tired of it, Mac [ddd.

I love seeing that truck, she's a beauty.

Not much to report ,other than I did get the inside of the truck gutted, and ready to get prepped for paint. I don't want to do what I did on the Fairlane. When I bought the Fairlane, I gutted it, took the doors off, pulled the engine, and took 3 years to complete it. This time around, I plan on getting the interior the way I want it, clean and paint the engine bay, and drive it, soI can see what I got. The drum brakes are good enough for just cruising for now. But, I plan on converting to disc brakes very soon. Main things right now , is to get the power train where I want it, and drive it while I'm snading on the body. Now, I plan on pulling off all the fender fior final sanding. But, I think I can get most of it while driving this truck. I do know one thing, the primer is very thick on this truck. But, the paint jsut blows right off with my power washer. Not sure what kind of primer they used, but it is as thick as a dime. So far from underneath I see no patches or bondo. Gonna be looking for some steelie wheels for it once the Fairlane is picked up. The F1 is just waiting in the wings until Friday. Thats when the guy is picking up the car. Will post photos very soon.

Blacksheep. I may be wrong but I think you may have front fenders from a truck that had 20" wheels. the wheel opening looks a little large. Still it is a great looking truck and wish I owned it.

Blacksheep. I may be wrong but I think you may have front fenders from a truck that had 20" wheels. the wheel opening looks a little large. Still it is a great looking truck and wish I owned it.

Nope, most likely the photo angle. Stock fenders but small low profile tires on there now. hahaa

Glad to hear it.

You know what, I believe you are right. It got me to looking at the gap between the running boards and the inside edge of the fender. These fenders may have come off of a larger truck. That tells me that I may have to go to a larger wheel ,like 16" 0r 18". I thought thwere was a little more room in there. HAHAHAHA

You know what, I believe you are right. It got me to looking at the gap between the running boards and the inside edge of the fender. These fenders may have come off of a larger truck. That tells me that I may have to go to a larger wheel ,like 16" 0r 18". I thought thwere was a little more room in there. HAHAHAHA
I am pretty sure the original wheels were 16s.

You could have F-2 front fenders on there which have a bigger front wheel opening. 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton.
The cabs on these are all the same up to F-8. The difference is in the width and front wheel opening for the bigger trucks. My build used a F-6 cab.
I was trying to come up with a full side profile shot of a original F-1 so you could compare the wheel opening profile. But only found 3/4 front "Glamour shots.LOL
Here is a link to some info and you can always get on the Forbarn site to find more if you are so inclined.
Now back to our regular programing...[P [P [P
Torchie
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1948-ford-truck.531778/

This is going to be a sweet build. Here's some inspiration and an example of why steelies are the right choice [ddd

attachment.php

48 F1

Attachments

• 1003clt-01-o-1948-ford-f1-pickup-truck-front-side-shot.jpg
    1003clt-01-o-1948-ford-f1-pickup-truck-front-side-shot.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 78

In my opinion, when people try to fill the fenders with big wheels because the fenders are from a big truck they never end up looking right. If it were mine, I'd try to find the half ton fenders, but that's just me.

In my opinion, when people try to fill the fenders with big wheels because the fenders are from a big truck they never end up looking right. If it were mine, I'd try to find the half ton fenders, but that's just me.
Agreed. Undersized tires can be very deceiving also. It might all be optical illusions at this point. Measure twice, only replace fenders if needed. So far, this truck looks unmolested.

Agreed. Undersized tires can be very deceiving also. It might all be optical illusions at this point. Measure twice, only replace fenders if needed. So far, this truck looks unmolested.

I think our resident experts are right. Top is an F-2, bottom is an F-1, middle is blacksheep's truck.:

You can see by the attachment of the filler pan on the front of the F-1 fender and overall wheelwell shape, that blacksheep's truck looks like it has the same fenders as the F-2, not the F-1.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• side02.jpg
    side02.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2007178-900-0.jpg
    2007178-900-0.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 78
OK. Either take the truck back and get a refund, or run the 18"ers, and expand the rear fender openings to match the front. Then everyone will be scratching their heads. :D [S

Latest posts

Back