single barrell rochester carb q??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26modelt

just installed it today and started up good and ran decent but i noticed that the spark plugs were really black,,,is that to lean or rich?

also i have a auto choke on it and seems as its not getting a good choke at start,,,do i need to turn the auto choke more lean or rich? and whats a good setting for the air screw....

its on a 58 belair straight 6 235

thanks

dark plugs mean it's running rich. Make sure your choke is open all the way when the engine is warmed up good. On your idle air/fuel mixture, after the engine is warmed up and idling, turn the screw in, slowly, until the engine starts to slow down a bit. Then back it off about a half a turn. That will put it just right. You can also hook a vacuum guage on the intake and adjust the screw slowly, until you get the highest reading,(most vacuum).
And on the choke, when the engine is cold, and not running,hold the throttle open just a little and turn the choke until the butterfly just gets to the closed position. That'll be real close. You may have to adjust if you have extreme temperature changes. Good luck.

ok

ok that helps,,ill try that tomorrow

how about the vacumm

i have a line from the intake to the transmission modulator now

when i got the car it came from the intake manifold and then i teed off to the transmission modulator and to the mechanical fuel pump

someone told me that was a wrong setup so i put a single line from intake to transmission modulator because of harsh shifting...

what im getting at is the shifting is not as bad but now i have a open vacumn line from the fuel pump..

can u tell me how this is supposed to be hooked up???/

maybe that line offf the fuel pump goes to the vacumm windshield wipers??idk though

The line from the pump should go to the wipers. If it doesn't already have one, you can add a reservoir between the pump and wiper. All it is, is a coffee can looking thing with two nipples on it for the vacuum hoses. The newer ones are plastic about the size of a softball. Either one will work. It helps to keep the wipers working when you step on the gas. I've gotten a thrill or two passing in the rain. Goose it real good to go and they wipers quit. The reservoir helps a bit.

Latest posts

Back