Chevy Inline 292 Horsepower Ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

Well guys I am working on collecting parts and ideas on building a Chevy 292
inline-6. Trying to get an additional 50-75 HP out of it.

Motor will be bored .060 over, Flat top pistons to increase CR to 10-10.5
range, Aftermarket cam & lifters, Larger intake & exhaust valves, home fab intake with 3 94's and straight pipe exhaust header.

Motor is going in a Vintage Dragster and will be for strip only.

Do you think this is a due able setup?:confused:

I need ideas, this is my first Inline build :D

292-6 motor

sgtpontiac -- It's is on my web list and has some good information.

I am looking for more hands on ideas from the guys that run some hot
inline 6 motors. What works on 6's is a little different than what I am used to in building BBC for race cars. I am still in a learning mode.

Understood..... I understand that the 292....

sgtpontiac -- It's is on my web list and has some good information.

I am looking for more hands on ideas from the guys that run some hot
inline 6 motors. What works on 6's is a little different than what I am used to in building BBC for race cars. I am still in a learning mode.

Was a high torque motor with a very long stoke... 4.125".. Leo Santucci's book " chevrolet inline six-cylinder power manual " is an excellant source of info for hi power six's and clifford performance specializes in making big power from them.... Maybe someone here has done a few of them and can help..... I know that there are not a lot of parts that interchange from the other chevy 6's but I would think that if there is anyone that has built one before you will find him here.....I know that cams, intakes and headers are available but wonder if it would be cost effective to spend big bucks to make the same power as a mildly built small block....good luck with your build...sorry I couldn't help you more....

292-6 motor

sgtpontiac -- Thanks again, I will check out that book. This class of vintage
dragster is limited to Flathead V-8, Inline 6 & 8 only. It is a real challenge to build one of on a moderate budget. Would be a lot easier to put a SB/BB
Chevy together at half the cost.

Just be ready for the cost
cam kit with springs and gears around $400
cast LPG pistons around $350
lump porting kit $100 plus about 1 weeks worth of you lift installing is
everthing on these 6 cost $$$ but when your done you can have a motor that makes 350-400 hp and looks and sounds great
one more thing the wait for back ordered parts most of mine ordered at christmas and still waiting on cam gear and pistons

the 250 uses the same pistons as a small block but the 292 use a one off piston and rod due to the taller deck height.[cl

If you are building a true HA/GR (HAMB) dragster, a 292 is not permitted. That becomes important if you intend to run with the other California HA/GR cars. In fact the 194, 230, 250, 292 series are not permitted. The engine design must be available in a pre-1962 model vehicle.
If you are after only an additional 50 to 75 horsepower, I would suggest a 194 head as it has smaller combustion chambers. I believe 230 heads offer a smaller chamber but not as small as the 194. When shopping for a 194 head beware of the early head that has siamesed exhaust ports as well as siamesed intake ports (which all the heads of this engine series have). I bought one and threw it in the trash.
I would use the LPG pistons Gasser recommends and just do a rebuild with a mild cam, header, 3 angle valve job, pocket porting, hot ignition and better carburation. You should meet your goal with that. Just keep the rpm's down.

292-6 motor

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. :D

dmw56 -- You can use a 4 barrel carb, but it has to be older style 50's or early 60's. No Hi performance carbs.

Charley Davidson -- I agree that most inline 6 modification are the same.

Gasser -- I know the cost is high, I can do a 502 BBC for less money. Is the 250 a good sold base for a build like this? A lot more 250 motors around than the 292.

42chevy -- I had looked into the 300 Ford, but I want to run a Chevy Powerglide behind it and the adapter is a big expenses. I will be building my own intake to run the 3 94 carbs (I have a set) more for the correct period setup than max performance.

bob w -- We talked a year ago on the other board (old28altered) and yes I am going to start a build on a SDRA (Senior Drag Racing Association) "HAMB style car" under there 2011 rules. I am familiar with the HA/GR rules that the boys run at ANRA races here in Bakersfield, CA. I race in the same open wheel class. I want to bring a little "spice" to the game and have the first SDRA car out on the coast with an automatic trans. Under SDRA 2011 rules they opened up the engine rule so 300 Ford and 194/250/292 Chevy can run.
I think there are a few other people out this way that would like to run this type setup and not be held to the HA/GR stick rule. What about a 194 or 250 as a choice for a motor? Are LPG pistons available to increase CR or would I have to run after market type? I plan to start a build in next few weeks on both boards.

Ah, now I remember! I enthusiastically agree with building a SDRA car. I put an automatic in mine and it is no longer a "legal" HAMB car. Dick (Thingy M) on the PORK site has a 194 in his car and I would guess he would love to see another one like his. Having read Leo Santucci's book several times (you can get one on eBay) I have concluded that a 292 needs to be kept at moderate RPM's unless you use forged pistons and aluminum rods. Pistons are about $100 each, same for rods.

I have 2 -292 engines in the corner but if I didn't, I would start with a 250. .125 overbore. I have heard that some SBC pistons work. If you build for around 250HP, no exotic parts are needed. Open up the lower end clearances a bit, ARP rod bolts. Find a 194 head and install lump ports. You know the rest. More RPM's are available safely with the 250.

I think you can build a 250 that would hang with or beat everyhing except the best 302Jimmys.

LPG pistons for the 292 have less dish than the stock pistons. Might be hard to find though. Maybe Gasser can shed some light on piston availability.

Another thought: With all the noise about aftermarket cam failures, I have taken to having stock cams reground. I use a local company but have heard good things about Oregon Cams out your way. Break in the cam with weak valve springs.

Man, I sure hope you build that thing.

A friend is sending a bunch of 300 Ford six stuff my way. So I might have to bend some more pipe next winter...

292-6 motor

bob w -- Nice to talk again, bin some time. I have purchased the other frame that Thingy M on the pork built a few years ago. It is more or less the same chassis as his. I think it was meant to be as this is the same frame I was going to buy 15 months ago, but I found the 29 RPU and built it. Well I needed a new project and this is it.

I am building this so I can get back in the seat and I really think there are others on the coast that want to run one with the automatic but no one wants to be first. I'm like you, I will run it with or without other cars, just want to make some passes.

The more I get information on the 292 the more a 250 sounds like a better and less expensive way to go. I will look into the .125 over bore and the Chevy SB pistons. What is the advantage of the 194 head? Will a 250 head with some bigger valves and some mild porting work? I think 250-275 HP would do real fine out this way.

Not ready to start a build thread yet, but when I do I will run at both places.

I like this site, a lot more help and support!!!![cl

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26014
Some good information here. Crower rods. 327 pistons. 194 head has a smaller combustion chamber and same ports & valves as the heads found on larger displacement Chevy 6's.

I'll bet you start a revolution out there with the automatic trans. Saves a lot of money in the long run.

Sure good to hear from you. It's hard to stay away from drag racing, isn't it?:)

292/250-6 motor

bob w -- Thanks for the information, I will check out the site.

I think to save some cash I will look into the 250 + .125 as a better start at a little lower cost. There are no 302 Jimmys out this way yet, so I agree if I can make a reliable 250-275 HP 250 motor with a glide and a ford traction lock rear I think it would turn a few heads.[dr

Anyone out there with 250 Inline 6 over bore information please jump in, I want to get this right the first time.

Summit racing still list LPG pistons for the 292(although mine have been on back order for a while they claim there still available and coming some day).
a set of custom pistons are about $450 higher

ISKy makes 4 different cam kit for the 292 also available from summit racing

a 292 will not last bored over .060
not sure about the 250 I have seen them go .125 but just not sure never tried

basically a 292 is a tall deck 250 motor so most parts interchange
intakes. valve cover headers are interchangeable
heads are interchangeable 230-250 heads will boast comp on a 292
Tappet cover are not
cams if you delete the fuel pump are also supposed to inter change

installing lump ports are the quickest way to gain HP it does requires some mechine work and I think it is a wast of time if you don't go over 3800 RPM

there are cheaper was to make HP but nothing looks or sounds as good as a straight 6 (except poss a straight 8) I figure I have about $3500 tied up in my current 292 not including the machine work I done

292/250-6 motor

gasser -- I sent you a PM last night on most of this but want to post so others can have the information that might help them.

Do you have the part # for the LPG pistons from Summit?

I think at this time I will find a 292, do a complete rebuild on motor, add ARP bolts to the stock rods and have them shot pined/re-sized on big end, 3 angle valve job with some mild porting, install 7/16 rocker studs and BBC 1.75 roller rockers, -0- deck the block and take .050-.060 off the head, install Isky X162 cam & kit, install lump kit, run a aftermarket 4bl intake with Vintage Speed adapter to run my two Holly 94 carbs, run 26" straight pipes, Mallory dual point distributor.

Then get a 194 head, put in big sbc valves, add LPG pistons in the future or keep the 292 head, add big sbc valves and get a set of Ross custom pistons set for the 10-10.5 CR.

Pistons came from summit as did the cam.the cam was about $10 cheaper from summit then ISKY

Pistons # these are sealed powers # and summits #
SLP-980P30 .30 oer 2980p30
SLP-980P40 .40 over 2980p40
SLP-980P60 .60 over 2980p60

$49.99 each summit is the only place I found to offer them
these are the Propane pistons they have a "oblong recessed .150 deep "
very shallow recess in the top ruffly 2.5"X2.0" good for all most a full 1.5.
compression increase

normally there is a .350 deep round or D shaped hole the propane pistons run

Old28:
if you are going to build a 292 and you can use a stock set of .040 pistons.
I have a new set I would let you have you would need to pick them up or pay the freight this set has the d shaped dish and never been installed.
just let me know

Latest posts

Back