1953 ford f100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeartofFord

Im a relativly new builder and looking for some advice on an engine. Im not looking to restore the engine or butcher my truck to put a big block in it. Im looking to get a nice sized engine with some good horsepower and torque. Any recommendations?

It Really depends on a few things, mainly do you want to keep a Ford motor, and do you want to keep the existing transmission. Tons of guys will drop in a small block chevy, because they are cheap to build, very plentiful.
If you stay Ford a 351 W is a nice motor, a cleveland is better. Stay away from 351 M or 400. A 460 is heavy, powerful and a gas hog. 429's are a little harder to find. There is alot more to consider, and I am sure more guys will jump in with ideas.
Welcome to the site.

I'm using a FE motor (390) im mine . You can find the belhousing with the mount ears and the front mount from a larger truck, that way you wont have to fabricate and weld mounts on the frame:)

AH!

Thanks for the ideas. And the tip about using a larger trucks mounts was something i completely glazed over in my head. I am a purest for thwe most part so I'm trying to avoid the small block chevy, I know it's a nice engine but i figure a ford truck has to have a ford heart. I'm gunna check out some of the engines you mentioned to see what seems like a good fit for me. I appreciate the help and anything else you guys can think of would be great keep a look out under suspension i may have a few posts there.

Latest posts

Back