1962-67 Chevy 6 "194" Cylinder Head

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

After running the thread on a 292 Chevy 6 build for the vintage SDRA car I am going to start the end of June, I have decided on a 1966 250 motor as the first engine with the 292 to follow later.

Motor will be .080 over, with -0- deck and .150 dish pistons, Isky FT cam, two 94 holly carbs on home made intake. The key to this motor making some HP, I hope 225-230 is the head. I want to run a 1964-67 194 62cc head that has individual exhaust ports, put in Z28 springs, 1.94/1.60 sbc valves, Cut .050 off heads to get CR around 10.0-10.5. I am not going to lump port the head at this time, a bit to pricey.

I have been looking for a head for 3 months, have want ads in RRR & the Ham Site and can not find the 194 head I need. I have found 4 194 motors that all had 230/250 heads as replacements.

Any of you guys know were one is for sale????? Someone got to have one on the shelf that would part with it.:D

Any help or comments on the motor build, jump in, Tom

194s

distance and that danged ol border is what sometimes determines a deal. I have a few [sic] 194 engines and parts here, we are in BC canada, about 450 mls. from the border. available to ya, fellow Rat, your call. Bruce

194 Inline Head

Bruce -- Thanks for the reply. I guess the first thing is to see if you have the head I need. I am looking for a 1964-67 non Siamese exhaust head from a 194 with 62cc chambers. The casting # may be 3874883 or 3824435.
Complete or bare head is fine.

If you have one what are you asking in US Dollars and how much to ship to Bakersfield, CA 93312 USA?

I think this head will really put so fire in my 250 motor. Tom

194 Inline Head

RPM -- The .o80 pistons only come in .150 dish and they are the lease expensive ones I have found. Do you know of some Flat Top Pistons that would work? The motor is a clean .040 at this time so I can go .060 also.

I want to run the 194 head with the small chambers on this motor and on the future 292 motor with the modifications I have listed and maybe in the future have lump ports installed if the dollars are there.

The only FT pistons I have seen are made by one of the big boys and they run 600 for set, a little to steep for this project.

Very interested if you know of some that will work and not kill the bank. Tom

I could be wrong here as it has been 35 years since we played with those motors. It has a 3 7/8" bore? I think the 307 chevy piston works and it is a flat top. Should be available in .060. We used to bore them to 4" and seems we used the 327 piston also a flat top. Now double check all that before you buy anything, cause it has been a long time ago.

194 Inline Head

RPM -- You are correct on both points. I had been looking for a forged piston and the only one in a .060 over size had a compression distance that is to much at 1.795". Speed Pro makes a cast piston that has a C.D. of 1.655 that would work and still let me deck the block .015 for a clearance of .005".
I may end up going with the Speed Pro. I was going to use the 80 over dish pistons so I could get max CI, they are .085 dish (not .150) I said.

I had looked at boring the motor to 4" and running FT 327 pistons, but after talking to some guys that run these motors at the track I feel that the block needs to be pour filled to bore it 4" safely and I need all the cooling I can get as you have to be able to drive car to starting line and back to the pits. I wish I could run it, would be a rocket.

Tom

194 Inline Head

Found A 194 head[cl

It is casting # 3874883 and as is in Leo Stantucci book it has 60.30cc chambers. Good thing is I found one for my 250 build, bad part is that it's in MN and shipping will be a little high, you do what you got to do.

Plains for this head is to cut .060-.065 off the surface, install 1.94 intake and 1.60 Exhaust sbc valves, a set of Z28 springs, 7/16" bbc rocker studs and run 1.7 bbc roller rockers. I am not lumb porting the head at this time because of added cost, but maybe next year. All this will be turned by an Isky Mid Range Flat Tappet cam.

Latest posts

Back