Caddy engine experts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, here`s the latest. The engine is out[cl My brother took it out last night. Today I went over and pulled the #1 piston. The rings are siezed onto the piston. So, now its rings and gaskets.:(

Could be worse......

Can you hone the cylinders to clean them up? If you think about it....since you're going to have it down anyway....why not freshen it up...then you won't have to worry about things....JMHO....:D

As usual sarge you`re right,I should just tear it down completely and "freshen" it up.But, since when am I going to start taking GOOD ADVICE.:mad:I could easily put a $1000 into "freshening" it up.You know, hot dip,a little bore job,piston rings,bearings,gaskets,timing chain,etc.where do I stop??? Maybe in December,not now!as usual I`m going to slap it together and pray a lot[ddd Go ahead and remind me about my failure to take your advice on my 425.:rolleyes:

I never kick a guy when he's down.....lol

As usual sarge you`re right,I should just tear it down completely and "freshen" it up.But, since when am I going to start taking GOOD ADVICE.:mad:I could easily put a $1000 into "freshening" it up.You know, hot dip,a little bore job,piston rings,bearings,gaskets,timing chain,etc.where do I stop??? Maybe in December,not now!as usual I`m going to slap it together and pray a lot[ddd Go ahead and remind me about my failure to take your advice on my 425.:rolleyes:

I haven't priced a basic O/haul set for a Caddy...so 1000 bucks might be right on the money...if you did the rings and rod bearings, throw in a new oil pump and pickup and button it up...at least you'd have an idea what you got and not be in too deep.....maybe 4 or 500? Anyway you fly is fine with me....

OK, here`s my plan.Clean up and maybe paint up the block heads and intake.[PReplace the siezed rings on #1 piston. Change the dist to HEI from my 425 as well as the oil pan from 425(472 has front sump).Put it all together and drop it in.Now when I start it up, hopefully it will run without any obscene noises and good oil pressure.;) If all that happens, I should be good to go. If not, I`ll start saving my $$$ for a rebuild.:mad:Just doing the above will cost me close to $100. I see various rebuild kits selling for $1000-$1500.:eek:

OK, here`s my plan.Clean up and maybe paint up the block heads and intake.[PReplace the siezed rings on #1 piston. Change the dist to HEI from my 425 as well as the oil pan from 425(472 has front sump).Put it all together and drop it in.Now when I start it up, hopefully it will run without any obscene noises and good oil pressure.;) If all that happens, I should be good to go. If not, I`ll start saving my $$$ for a rebuild.:mad:Just doing the above will cost me close to $100. I see various rebuild kits selling for $1000-$1500.:eek:

No one said this was a cheap hobby =)

Even though we do our best to do things low buck, seems like we have more into the build than we even knew at the end right? [cl

I hope your motor turns out perfect after the other one went south on you!

At this point I`m still ahead on the $$(dont have any):( I`m really having a difficult time getting this engine ready. It`s at my brother`s shop and he works days and I work afternoons. As of yesterday, I finally got it to the point of assembly. Now I wont be able to get to it, for a couple weeks, because of my varying work schedule:( This is so frustrating:mad:

OK,Today I finally went to my brother`s shop today.:D I finally got the siezed distributor out.:mad:I`ll replace it with my HEI from the 425. I also painted the block and mounted various parts off the 425 like,front pulleys, alt and brackets,motor mounts,and fuel pump.[clTomorrow I`ll remove the busted studs from the exhaust ports on the heads, finish assembly,and bring it home;)

Well we got it all together tonight and painted.Gotta work the next three days and plan on going to the Syracuse Nats on Friday. So that means it will be coming home on Saturday[cl

Well I finally got my engine home today. Now maybe I can make some progress getting it together and running.[cl

OK here she is ready to go in.I dont have the carb and manifold on yet. I`ll put it on after I install it.I painted the manifold silver like the oil pan.:D

Attachments

• 472 ready to go in 001.jpg
    472 ready to go in 001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
OK, Here she is as of this AM.I still have to complete hooking up the expansion tank on the cooling system. Pix are a little dark, I`ll take more when I get her running.:D

Attachments

• 472 in place 001.jpg
    472 in place 001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 472 in place 002.jpg
    472 in place 002.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 472 in place 003.jpg
    472 in place 003.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 14
WOOHOO! TODAY SHE RUNS. [cl I fired it up today and she has 45psi oil pressure. I also ran it long enough to get it up to operating temp and so far everything seems to be OK.:) Tomorrow I`ll take it for a road test and take some pix in the daylight.

Well, I didn`t take it for a road test yet. I have a couple new issues.:mad: first I discovered a rust hole in my oil pan that leaks at 1 drop abt. every 5 seconds(too much)also my brake pedal will not fully return keeping the brake lights on.[S I installed a brake booster during the 472 work when I couldn`t get to my brother`s shop. I`ll have to devise a return spring on my pedal.:confused: Anyway he`s some pix of it outside today.BTW it sounds real goood.:D

Attachments

• 37 on 8-2-12 001.jpg
    37 on 8-2-12 001.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 37 on 8-2-12 002.jpg
    37 on 8-2-12 002.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 37 on 8-2-12 003.jpg
    37 on 8-2-12 003.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 37 on 8-2-12 004.jpg
    37 on 8-2-12 004.jpg