Un sticking a flatty 8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

So I bought a 46 mercury with a flat8 in it that's stuck. What is a guy suppose to use to crank on the motor? The crank at the front of the engine has the toothed piece for the hand crank. Anybody have any ideas what I can get a little leverage on to try to brake it loose?

Remove the spark plugs and pour in an acetone/automatic transmission fluid mix and let it sit for a while. If the car rolls pull/push it and pop the clutch. Probably not enough room to get any thing on it to get enough leverage to turn it.

Should still be able to get a socket on the crank bolt if not use a breaker bar in the slot and hook a battery or something heavy on it,fill the cylinders as described above and watch and wait,when i's ready the engine will free.

I've got the cyls soaking with marvel mystery oil. After I posted I realized that there was a nut towards the back of the hand crank slots. I tried moderate pressure on it but I knew better then to crank on it. I'm going to let it set for a couple days while I travel and mess with it some more when I get back.

Thanks

Should still be able to get a socket on the crank bolt...

A6319USA-7915-xl.jpg

Too slow, never mind! :D

I said the heck with it and posted the thing on eBay. If anyone's interested in a very clean coupe search for "1946 mercury eight". It should show up.

Yep, very clean. I wish I didn't have so many projects my self or I would build it.

Latest posts

Back