merkur 4 cylinder turbo

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bad a** little motors, same as the sho mustang, and turbo thunder bird. i used to know of three 27 t-roadsters that had them, mean little cars.

Well the car is mine, I may or may not drive it for a while not sure yet. If I thought I could get a rolling chassis with the motor in it by the "Red Neck Rumble" I'd be pulling it right now.

What all do I need to keep from the car? I'm using the tranny (auto) too. I'm assuming I'll need the computer but what else is necessary?

Well, the motor is the same as the SVO Mustang. The T3 turbo has a slightly smaller A/R rating than the SVO or early TC but shouldn't make a noticeable difference. IMO, much better than the IHI that came on the '87-'88 TC's. The Merkur auto won't hold up to much abuse. Your best bet would be the T5 5spd. The better setup would be the aforementioned T5 along with an LA series ECU and a large VAM from the '87-'88 TC's. Check the classifieds over at www.turboford.net and www.turbotbird.com I believe I just saw those items for sale over there.

With that said, if you wanna keep it simple I see no reason why you couldn't just swap the Merkur motor, tranny, ECU, small VAM and wiring harness into the '47. However, with the above items from the TC's you'll actually see a noticeable power gain.

All my pix are with the hood sides on so not much to see. Just a model a with a 2.3. I wish i had a couple of them set aside ready to go for possible future projects. I love the flatmotor in the shoebox but if it goes south i will be wanting a 2.3 for it. Any pix of your '47 Charley?

You may have already seen this as I've posted it before. My loaded 2.3T is about to go into the roadster. The frame and suspension are built and it's almost up on 4 wheels. Coming along slowly.

tried to load pics but a token??? was missing????didn't no I needed a coopin..
2.3, roller cam, super 16 turbo, big injectors and large vam with LA ecm. big front mounted after cooler. I am building mine for a LSR car (F/BGALT #9269)

Latest posts

Back