flex hose comes off

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bach4660

I used flex rad hose on both the upper and lower on a SBC chevy to a KMJ aluminum rad, but have had problems with the rubber and chrome parts seperating over time. Over 600 miles of driving and they either pop apart or have travel back close to coming off.
Wondering if there is too much frame flex, as the chassis is a '48 fargo and the engine torques pretty good when stepped on.
have marked the chrome with paint pen to observe but need a better fix.

has anyone else had this?

you'd have to have a lot of flex and a short hose to be pulled off. IMO [S
give the hose some room and use a good quality clamp. good luck

Frame flex or the motor moving around will sure make a hose pop off. Had a car one time that would do that if you got on it hard, turned out one of the motor mounts was soft and nearly in two, letting the engine move and pull the hose off.

thanks for the responses, I have just a worm gear clamp on it. I think I will try one of the "T" clamps that are also wider, or as suggested both!

If your hose fits snug without being clamped down, you probably have a bad clamp. I've run into the issue before with the 'tension' clamps that you squeeze to put on... which I won't ever use again, because they always fail in several applications.

I would swap the clamp and see if that fixes it, if not, it's possible it's a bad hose... I've had one of those that was a flex, the spring kept coming out of it lol....

Latest posts

Back