engine starts but wont run

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

I finally got a transmission for my 440 its been sitting awhile but not long. It starts up fine but won't stay on unless I push on the gas. Won't idle at all could it be fuel pressure. Its been sitting around 2 months could the carb be clogged. Suck I finally got a transmission and run into problems.

I agree with Old Iron, could also be air bleed screws need adjusted but I'd start with the float and needle valve.

I'm assuming it ran OK before the trans swap? I'd guess there's a vacuum line off to the trans modulator (do Mopars use a vacuum modulator?) or maybe a crack or split in one?

Probably bad gas dried up in the carb, stopping up the idle passages. If you have another carb that fits, try swapping it out. If not, I'd get a kit for yours and a can of chem dip to soak it in. Mine had a whiteish powder in it that turned to mush as soon as gas hit it, when it dried, it turned back to powder. Runs fine now after I soaked it and put in the kit.

I have had troubles like yours with a Mopar with a Carter carb. Sometimes, I was able to clean the dirt out of the idle circuit by; screwing the idle adjuster screws all the way in, [to crush up possible dirt particles] then take out the adjuster screws completely, spray some carb cleaner in each hole, let sit for few minutes and blast each hole with your air gun, and screw the idle adjuster screws back all of the way in and then two and a half turns out. Good luck.

Try this before you tear into it.........put a can of SeaFoam in the tank and run it at a fast idle or drive it for a while. After it gets into the carb it will probably clean out any varnish or other debris from sitting.

Every so often my daily driver starts idling rough at lights and when I put in a can of SeaFoam it usually clears it up in a day or two.

Don

Try this before you tear into it.........put a can of SeaFoam in the tank and run it at a fast idle or drive it for a while. After it gets into the carb it will probably clean out any varnish or other debris from sitting.

Every so often my daily driver starts idling rough at lights and when I put in a can of SeaFoam it usually clears it up in a day or two.

Don

X2 ^^ I'm a huge SeaFoam fan........although at our local Dollar General they keep it behind the counter now and you have to take a card off the shelf up and ask for it.....seems it is now one of the latest precursors to Meth manufacturing :rolleyes::mad:

OK tried the sea foam nothing so I rebuilt the carb nothing. What else could it be not sure how much fuel exact but have pressure but I have. My distributor hasn't moved so my timing should be the same. Anyone else got ideas maybe the choke.

Honestly you're not giving us enough info.
Diagnose it in the following manner.
1. Does the engine run smooth when you have to hold the throttle for it to run and how much throttle to make it run are we talking about?
2. Did you pull the idle air needles out when you rebuilt?
3. If so how many turns out did you set the needles?
4. Did you check to make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs?
5. Is the choke open or closed when it dies?
6. Can you close the choke and make it run?
7. Is it a manual or automatic choke?
8. Does it die immediately or stumble to till it dies?
9. Are all the vacuum holes in the carb, that you are not using, plugged or capped?
10. What kind of carb are we even talking about?
11. Does it have manual or power brakes?

I'm still leaning towards a serious vacuum leak.
Take 4 pics of the carb and post them so we can see it. Front, drivers side, passenger side and one from the back.

Honestly you're not giving us enough info.
Diagnose it in the following manner.
1. Does the engine run smooth when you have to hold the throttle for it to run and how much throttle to make it run are we talking about?
2. Did you pull the idle air needles out when you rebuilt?
3. If so how many turns out did you set the needles?
4. Did you check to make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs?
5. Is the choke open or closed when it dies?
6. Can you close the choke and make it run?
7. Is it a manual or automatic choke?
8. Does it die immediately or stumble to till it dies?
9. Are all the vacuum holes in the carb, that you are not using, plugged or capped?
10. What kind of carb are we even talking about?
11. Does it have manual or power brakes?

I'm still leaning towards a serious vacuum leak.
Take 4 pics of the carb and post them so we can see it. Front, drivers side, passenger side and one from the back.

It runs smooth till I let off the gas then slowly dies. No vacuum leaks that I can see the idle needles were taken out and put in and backed out two full turns. Pluggs correct. I tried to run it open choke no luck haven't tried it closed.its a Holley doudle pumper and I have Manuel brakes

Its running the exact same way it did before I rebuilt the carb

Attachments

• IMG_20140923_181708_583.jpg
    IMG_20140923_181708_583.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20140504_124618_216.jpg
    IMG_20140504_124618_216.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
Spray wd-40 around the carb base and intake gaskets as well as all the vacuum ports to see if that makes a difference. That carb looks mighty dirty for just being rebuilt, to me anyhow.

Latest posts

Back