Radius quarters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Ive done this before on smaller openings but the 53 is tricky. I used a 55 gal drum lid in 3 different positions and free handed to a somewhat circle. Before i cut, does this look about right? I cant get a perfect round circle without going up too high. I'll have about 2 1/2 inches over the center of the tire. I masked it off and sprayed what gets cut out so i can use the scrap for the template on the other side. These are brand new quarters getting ready to be cut.

Attachments

• 20170226_172157.jpg
    20170226_172157.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 71
You could stand a tire up beside the car and use it as a template. Use a spacer like a piece of 2x4 between the tire and your marker to allow for tire clearance. 2x4 is about 1.5" thick.

I tried outlining the wheel but the bottoms of the wheel opening at the lowest part of the quarters have about 4 inch clearance in the front and 2.5 in the rear. A perfect circle takes out way too much of the quarter, leaving about 4 inches open over the tire.

Measure the radius of the tire add what you want 1.5 to 2" use a string that length, tie a loop in one end, hold the other in the center of the axle, put a pencil in the loop and mark the fender.

I've done what Old Iron suggests as well but I think stickfigures issue is that he doesn't want a perfect circle as it is too high up into the quarters and the wheel is not centered in the opening.
It is hard to give a judgement without seeing the wheel in there but in the picture that was posted the wheel opening looks alright. As long as it doesn't look like an after thought it will be fine.
Torchie

I'm with Torchie, it's already cut and it looks just fine. Come up with something to finish off the edge and your good to go. [;)
As for the other side, i was once told by an old guy, you never see both side at the same time, like horse shoes "close counts" [cl

I ordered my rims and tires, 15x10 torque thrusts with 295-50 15s. They will be about 26 inches tall. Before i cut im going to try other methods to get as close to perfect as i can. A taller tire would make things easier. The 295s are in at the tire shop but not paid for yet so not set in stone, im waiting for the rims to come in to get free mounting and balancing. If i go with a 29 inch tall tire i can get a perfect circle without too much gap. What tire size would you guys suggest that would give me around 29 to 30 inch tall without too much tire buldge because of clearance between the tire and leafs?

Here's a tire comparison for you
31" tall tire would look huge on a 53 Chevy
The two below takes you from a 28" tire to a 30" which is plenty. IMO

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tire sizes.JPG
    Tire sizes.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 88
Once again I agree with Old iron.:D [ddd
A 31 inch tall tire would look huge on that car. In my mind no matter what the style of build it is, it's all about proportions. Unless you are going for some kind of "Cartoon" character style car.
Cut yourself a card board circle to what ever size tire you think you want. Paint it black and do a mock up.
Torchie.

If i ever get a weekend off im going to work at getting it perfect before the cut. 53s have odd wheel openings. Ive seen a ton of pics that look great but im not sure what tire size they're running. You shouldnt have put the cartoon idea in my head.

Thank you for the pic. That is too big. I think a 275/60 would be more proportioned to the car. They're around 28 inches tall. With a 30 inch circle, im sure i can radius a perfect centered circle.

Well, i went with a 31x10.50, got a great deal. 29.5 inches tall on the 10 inch wheel. Made the first cut but i got to go a little bigger. I cut it out with the reciprocating saw, jig saw blade wasnt long enough to go through the wheel well and quarter. Does anyone have any suggestions on what tool to use to make a clean cut without jerking the quarter all over the place? My grinder is really hard to handle. One jump out of my hand and its over.

Attachments

• 20170309_182706.jpg
    20170309_182706.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170309_180841.jpg
    20170309_180841.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 20
I have all 5 with 4 original dog dish caps. Im gonna run the fronts till i come across something i like cheap. I'll sell all 5 with caps for $100 plus whatever it costs to ship them. I have to get some front runners first but if you need them, you have my word i wont sell them to anyone else when im ready to sell. I got the 3 im not using in the basement. The wheels are pitted but the caps are perfect.

Latest posts

Back