coilover question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny1

Callin' him Tiny is like callin' Dirty Harry a bea
What weight coil over spring do i need for the front on the truck with V8 chevy ?

thanks

What weight coil over spring do i need for the front on the truck with V8 chevy ?

thanks

Tiny
Ask advice at the tech desk where ever u order them from. I ordered mine from Speedway & think I used a 700 lb spring rate. They had 3 different spring rates to choose from depending on... SB/BB, what all u were gonna hang on the motor... A/C, blower. PS etc. I used the middle selection.

BoB

thanks tripper.. :) This is for my Buddy's truck we just got on speedways site and think we figured out what he needs .

Thanks again

Last edited:
No fun installation!

thanks tripper.. :) This is for my Buddy's truck we just got on speedways site and think we figured out what he needs .

Thanks again

Tiny,
I also got the cheep QA1 shocks for that setup & they look really nice! It wasn't real fun installin' them though!

BoB

The QA1 or the ones we were looking at. We should have a rolling chassis by the end of the week if it doesn't get to hot this week. I got to try and post some pics in the build thread been working on it so much haven't taken many pictures . Thanks again for the help :)

If you are going the coilover route, I would use a piece of 1"x1" square tube and drill holes for the distance of the shock at ride height, and bolt them in.

Keep in mind that a 12", 14" shock etc., will not necessarily ride at that height. I usually go about 3/8" below the advertised measurement.

After bolting in the 1"x1" in place of the shocks, I weight the car. (Front and rear).
Also, keep in mind that the suspension, rearend, wheels, tires, etc., are unsprung weight. The springs do not hold these items up.
So you need to subtract the weight of these items from your front and rear totals.
The angle the shocks are mounted on will also require a different spring rate.

Give all this info. to the spring supplier, and they can make a more informed selection. Don't order springs from a parts warehouse, they only know what the "book" says. Go straight to QA1, Eaton Spring, etc.

I would rather go through all this work and have the right spring rate. You will be more satisfied with the "ride" of the spring.

To stiff and to soft stinks, just ask Goldie locks......

Latest posts

Back