s10 frame...i know just take a look

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyRunnin_on_Bowtie

i know this topic has been beat to heck and back but........
have you seen this truck on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTmA6o2EpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MHwXARSLlc

i love the short wheelbase and i want to do a frame like it.
lol is it a sin to run IFS?!?!?!
he commented that the steering has been heavily modified for rack.
is this worth trying?
thanks whoever could help me out with this. I have a rolling chassis to pick up.

Try this link: S-10 on RRR

Yeah, the topic has been hashed pretty hard, but nothing I've seen has got it right yet. The biggest problems are the motor hangs out too far over the front axle and the frame horns stick out too far.

To correct those, you need to move the motor back or the suspension forward and change to a rack to get rid of the forward steering stuff and front horns.

I haven't seen it done right yet. Maybe I'll be the first when my daughters S-10 gives up.

Hope you didn't mind the link - I've been wanting to use that on someone for quite awhile. :cool:

Try this link: S-10 on RRR

Yeah, the topic has been hashed pretty hard, but nothing I've seen has got it right yet. The biggest problems are the motor hangs out too far over the front axle and the frame horns stick out too far.

To correct those, you need to move the motor back or the suspension forward and change to a rack to get rid of the forward steering stuff and front horns.

I haven't seen it done right yet. Maybe I'll be the first when my daughters S-10 gives up.

Hope you didn't mind the link - I've been wanting to use that on someone for quite awhile. :cool:

lol ive searched alot.....ALOT. i just wanted to see what other thought of the truck i found on youtube. ive seen horrible looking s10 frame builds but i thought this looked pretty good. did you go to my video link i posted??

Still doesn't look right IMO. I'm with Sam here, never seen one that looks "right" aesthetically. Some are a little better than others, but that doesn't mean they are good. I do applaud you for wanting a shorter wheelbase, because a lot of these goofy stretched out things look just as bad as IFS. You are already behind the 8 ball with making it look "right" with the late model cab. It can be done, but it's not an easy task. Here is one that I think came pretty close to the mark. It is sitting on a modified Model A style chassis -

attachment.php

And this is the chassis -

attachment.php

Still doesn't look right IMO. I'm with Sam here, never seen one that looks "right" aesthetically. Some are a little better than others, but that doesn't mean they are good. I do applaud you for wanting a shorter wheelbase, because a lot of these goofy stretched out things look just as bad as IFS. You are already behind the 8 ball with making it look "right" with the late model cab. It can be done, but it's not an easy task. Here is one that I think came pretty close to the mark. It is sitting on a modified Model A style chassis -

attachment.php

And this is the chassis -

attachment.php

i honestly like that alot

That's about the most pleasent I've ever seen BED be about fenderless IFS!

For some reason I don't see BED's pics? Oh well. Yes, I checked out the vids as best as this PC can handle. Video's really suck for build pics - hard to study them. I didn't see the rack, he looked like he was still using the stock steering gear? Maybe at the end of the video? Notice, you rarely, if ever see a side shot of a IFS open wheel rat. It's always a 3/4 view.

The rack needs to go behind the IFS so you can remove the horns and put the suspension out in front of the motor for best proportions. I don't really have a problem with the IFS exposed like many do. It's all about the proportions for me.

BUT rule #2 in the Rat Rodders Handbook states: It's your ride, build it the way you want.

That's about the most pleasent I've ever seen BED be about fenderless IFS!

BUT rule #2 in the Rat Rodders Handbook states: It's your ride, build it the way you want.

I guess I'm gettin' soft in my old age. Haha. You're right about the 3/4 view though. It's a trick to make them look kinda "ok" visually when they are just a flat out abortion from the side shot.

Yeah build what you want, but Rule #1 should pertain to PROPORTIONS - If they aren't right, it just ain't gonna work. Why put a ton of time and effort into trying to build something that is "sorta close" to being "ok" when you can put the same amount or less of sweat equity into something that really stands out?
IDK, who cares about my opinion anyways?? LOL

Last edited:
My suggestion is to buy some 2" by 4" rectangular tubing and make a sub frame from the firewall forward. Find a solid axle out of anything, a truck, van, someone's old utility trailer with a car axle under it. Cut the S10 frame off at the firewall and put the old stuff out front. Then, when you're at a show you won't have to put your lawn chair by the front wheel.:D

I'll help balance the opinions here ...I like the truck in the video. He modified the s10 front so it is pleasing to the eye. [mine anyway]. More of my two cnts...if you plan on driving your rat rod alot, go with IFS. It will ride and handle better than the straight axle...:D

if you plan on driving your rat rod alot, go with IFS. It will ride and handle better than the straight axle.

I disagree, especially on the handling. A properly set up straight axle will handle every bit as good (if not better) than IFS, especially on a lightweight vehicle. With the correct caster & alignment I would put it up against any independent setup for typical street driving.

And true, this S-10 install looks slightly better than others, but after all that work why use it at all? The rest of the chassis is scratch built, and the front stub has been totally changed to accept the different steering. All that is left is the two bulky frame portions, clunky A-arms and awkward wheel placement. Why be stuck with something still so unsightly after all that work? If you really want IFS that's fine, but I would go with something not quite as homely...

FiatAArmDone006.jpg

I agree that straight axles can be made to handle very well. Just look a sprint cars. My experience with hot rods is a properly set up MII IFS will ride somewhat better than a straight axle. Especially on crappy roads.
Here's my attempt to have an IFS on a fenderless car. Trying to keep it from looking bulky.

I guess I'm just a solid axle guy, all of mine have driven great...IFS is like making out with a fat girl or riding a moped, it's alright as long as no one sees it.

(no offense to fat girls and mopeds, I riden plenty of both).

i like the straight axle look better but if you do ifs go with custom control arms, suicide doors makes some tubular arms. also the short well base i like the shorter wheelbase, im not to crazy with the long front ends, but remember its you build also. if your doing it to cut cost and get it on the road quicker you have to thing about if it's what you really want to run
DSC_0039.jpg

http://www.scottshotrods.com/2008_ambr.asp

this truck has a shorter wheel base also
65737_177781368918545_100000600497544_497772_8221633_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back