Quick change rear ends!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I've never had a quick change rear end... it's always appealed to me & really does now but I always wondered how long a "quick change" really took. Anyone...

BoB

I’m with you; I really like the look of them.
As far as how long, dunno. Know a couple of guys that have ‘em, never asked the question.

Jeff

Never had one either, but I would imagine you simply remove the perimeter bolts (or nuts) remove the cover, both gears (I think they pushed into place, were not bolted in) and replaced them with a set of different ratio ones.

I guess like anything else, the more you did it the faster you would become, but something like 15 minutes to 30 would seem reasonable, I would guess.

They sure do look great though, and from what I've heard, the whine is impressive too.

Don

I used to work on a Slim Jim ALLPRO series Late model racecar in 1999...wit a fuel cell part in the way: 12 minutes tops. UN-obstructed: 7 minutes tops....

No joke...

I used to work on a Slim Jim ALLPRO series Late model racecar in 1999...wit a fuel cell part in the way: 12 minutes tops. UN-obstructed: 7 minutes tops....

No joke...

Wow, that is sweet. U could put lo gears in & hit the streets & then put hi hiway gears & hit the road... I like it! But Don remarked they mite b noisy...

BoB

I used to go over to the dirt track in Waynesboro, VA. when I was 18.

I was curious how the gears were changed and how fast it could be done.

A friend of mine took me to a guys shop. He actually showed us and let us time him.
If I remember correctly, it took him about 8 min. That was with the rearend in the car. And he was humping it.

As far as the noise, they are no louder than the Jerico tranny in my car.
I actually like it.
Sorta like the whine you used to hear in the tranny when you rode the school bus.

My dad had a Frankland QC in a 48 Ford we were building for him. I never timed a gear change but it didn't take very long. We only changed the gears to practice and learn. He sold the car before we finished it so I can't comment on the noise.

Soon.....

When I finally get this installed in the '22, I'll let you know how long it takes.:D

Attachments

• Soon to be added Q.C..jpg
    Soon to be added Q.C..jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 26
I don't think the noise is like really objectionable, especially to a hot rodders ears. I have read magazine stories where they say "the quickchange singing as we go down the road" and stuff like that.

I would guess it is like the gear drive analogy, and I personally like gear drive and blower noise. I was even happy when my power steering pump was starting to go in my Jeep, sounded like the 5.0 was blown. :D :D :D :D

Don

Latest posts

Back