Anybody set time lines to get stuff done?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi Fellow Rat Rodders

I got my latest project by accident I saw it on Facebook so I bought it site unseen and had it shipped to my place...

I told myself "self...you got 9 months to get this heap to some state of rolling"...

273218522-4633854053392659-4744748370705346244-n.jpg

My goal is based on my leaving my full time job of 25 years and going to Kansas (for the winter months) to be closer to my son in January of 2023...so I bought the heap and figured the quicker I get it done the better I will be when I make my big move in January...

The other junks that I have worked on I always set dates in my head to get it done...

I love to work on old junk but my ADHD wont let me let dust settle on them...

Once they are built I am don't with them...I send them on their way...

Anybody else?

I used to have a list with hourly time lines everyday.... Spent my whole life being anal like that. House goals, work goals, personal goals....blah blah blah.

Now I take my time....If I have a list it's only so I don't forget where I am....or sometimes who I am LOL

It took a long time for me to settle in where I'm at but I've learned as I got / get older that life is not a race, I try to have fun with what I'm doing and be in the moment....not 2 months ahead.

I used to set time lines for myself when I was in business and that kept me fairly efficient. Now I'm a way too optimistic on my time goals so i keep missing them by a mile. This is frustrating, so I'm teaching myself to not set time lines. If I die with a half finished project, I won't be that annoyed.

When I first got the old chev I thought just owning it was good enough, and it was just something to tinker with. That didn’t last long. I was out there everyday making it at least driveable. Then once that happened I spent another month making it safe, followed by making it perform.

Now that it’s roadworthy and fun I go out there to see what else I can do, but then go lay on the couch to think about it.

The only time restraints I have now are the hot weather or how long my knees can take it.

I have goals for each project. Here's the current line up:
1. Have Jeep 6/Crosley running for the MSRA sponsored free drags at Brainerd in late August.
2. Make roadster pickup roadworthy enough to make it to Gruber's Thursday picnic before the weather gets too cold. The unveiling.
3. Have the Renault running/driving by late fall.
4. Have the engine repaired in the Anglia by next driving season.
5. This winter, add horsepower to the dragster.
6. This winter, final assembly on the Hupmobile roadster.
7. This winter, if I have any spare time, start on the Dodge truck.
8. Next spring, sell one or more.
9. Next spring, build a milder engine for the Bantam.
10. That's all folks.

I used to. We have a couple of close shows in the county, I'd try to have it able to make those. Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. Now I can drive it anywhere anytime, I'm slack on deadlines. I can only work on it when I can stand the weather temps . I've got a set of new plugs and wires to put in, just can't get to it right now. It will be there when I get to it.

Bob, you are a man of great ambition, I'm sure you will meet your targets or at least, go down swinging. [cl[cl
Having targets keeps us on the path, just have to keep the roadside distractions from derailing us...:rolleyes:
I'm determined to have my Hercules project running and driving in September to work the bugs out before taking it to Arizona this fall.
Then in the spring Ill go full speed on the Packard gasser, collecting more parts for it this winter down south.
Before going south, I'll be bringing home another orphan for future building, a 1965 International Scout to make a lowdown cruiser something like Bob W's Landrover build.
The fly in the soup for me is pending knee replacement that will surely happen at the worst time, but once it is done I should be able to turn up the speed on rod building right??

I have goals for each project. Here's the current line up:
1. Have Jeep 6/Crosley running for the MSRA sponsored free drags at Brainerd in late August.
2. Make roadster pickup roadworthy enough to make it to Gruber's Thursday picnic before the weather gets too cold. The unveiling.
3. Have the Renault running/driving by late fall.
4. Have the engine repaired in the Anglia by next driving season.
5. This winter, add horsepower to the dragster.
6. This winter, final assembly on the Hupmobile roadster.
7. This winter, if I have any spare time, start on the Dodge truck.
8. Next spring, sell one or more.
9. Next spring, build a milder engine for the Bantam.
10. That's all folks.

OMG!

I beg to differ, E-man. We are in a very creative hobby, so a lot of what we do is uncharted territory [for us at least]. We take risks and try things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the armchair builder can tell you what went wrong after he sees it, BUT, he isn't driving a hotrod that he built. You are. Don't sell yourself short because a few things didn't work out like you envisioned them. You're doing fine. :cool::cool:

I beg to differ, E-man. We are in a very creative hobby, so a lot of what we do is uncharted territory [for us at least]. We take risks and try things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But the armchair builder can tell you what went wrong after he sees it, BUT, he isn't driving a hotrod that he built. You are. Don't sell yourself short because a few things didn't work out like you envisioned them. You're doing fine. :cool::cool:

Agreed!!

Im up againts a short deadline with the sasquatch build and I dont like it!!

I used to, but since I retired I only have a prioritized list now with no set end date. I found it useless to set an end date for my car builds because that has never worked out for me... I just keep on keepin' on!

BoB

Latest posts

Back