street legal jalopy/vintage fenderless oval race car 1940lSH MOPAR tribute to DAD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for those

so, for those who have been waiting patently, PROGRESS:D

we cut the driver side floor to get the body to sit on properly, stuck the back half on to get a idea where the pieces are going to be needed to fill in the gaps.

probably going to have a small "back door" window.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• DSC02159.jpg
    DSC02159.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02161.jpg
    DSC02161.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02163.jpg
    DSC02163.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC02162.jpg
    DSC02162.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02153.jpg
    DSC02153.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02156.jpg
    DSC02156.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC02158.jpg
    DSC02158.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 65
might

Can't you graft the rear doors to extend the front doors?

not sure yet, talking to my metal guys, since l can't weld anymore its up to theim, we talked about it.

l like the idea, they say it may be too much work for the time frame l need her running in. l have some people & businesses who sponsored me for parts and stuff so by spring l have a obligation to have it painted & there with the logos/names on the car for some commitments l made for their help.

l don't like being on a timed build, we usually take more time & have a relaxed attitude toward assembling a rod, but l needed the parts & services they provided and in return they have the car at there shop/functions when l made the deal to be there on those dates.

Later :cool:

IMO, it seems like fabbing the doors together would be the fastest way to go. The rear door and jamb would already match.

I'm with Sam on grafting the doors, from my perspective it would be faster. Skull wish you were closer to Colorado, really wouldn't take much to graft that back together.

ship

I'm with Sam on grafting the doors, from my perspective it would be faster. Skull wish you were closer to Colorado, really wouldn't take much to graft that back together.

l'll get the measurements and ship them to ya:rolleyes:

trying hard to talk then into the on door/suicided on this thing.[;)

yaaaaaaaaaaaaa

l got my welder/body people helpers to go with the one door idea[cl

now we are going to rebuild & make the 2 door pieces into a single one, let the fun begin,[;)

going to look like doc's rendering[P

Attachments

• askulljalopy (1).jpg
    askulljalopy (1).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 41
stuff today

we got the front half of the body tacked down, cut out a couple of bars to make more room for the passenger seat and cut the front door posts out of the body in order to get them out of the way since we don't need them anymore, no turning back now, the doors gotta be lengthened. the doors should be ready to get fabbed in soon. that will start when the back half is tacked in so we can get the measurements correct and then build some place for them to latch. the deck lid and a few other things still need attached, figured out the hood tie downs and dozen other little things.

probably won't be painted for the first few shows of the year, but getting closer to running down the road:D

Attachments

• DSC02165.jpg
    DSC02165.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02170.jpg
    DSC02170.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02169.jpg
    DSC02169.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02168.jpg
    DSC02168.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02166.jpg
    DSC02166.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02164.jpg
    DSC02164.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 58
slower

moving along but seems slow to me 'cause l want it done[;)

l figured out the driver side seat, it will be a nice padded black after market racing seat but the passenger side clone to it may not have enough room to fit in the small space we are sticking it into. the black seats are 22 inches wide at the bottom and l only have 19 inches between the door and "cockpit" where the driver area starts on the passenger side. plan B is the aluminum racing seat with a cover and padding. we will get a better idea after the floor and fire wall is installed, but it's always nice to a backup plan in case things go screwy.

Later

Attachments

• jalopy seat 2.jpg
    jalopy seat 2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 10
  • jalopy seat driver.jpg
    jalopy seat driver.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
  • jalopy seat.jpg
    jalopy seat.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I bought seats from Rotten Leonard's Jalopy Shop....racy looking, 18" wide (or to your specs), upholstered, for $300 a pair. They look really good in my coupe, and fit in a very tight spot.

Attachments

• RL seats.JPG
    RL seats.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
stufff

been working on the hood, it sat 2 inches higer in the front than the rear so we cut some exhaust tubing to lower the hood nose.

also put the front "bumper" on and ground a bunch of the goober's that were left over from cutting off all the unnecessary stuff.

Last edited:
progress

for some reason the pics won't load[S

we are making the hood open from the rear, it will lift up and flip foreward to move out of the way when l work on the motor since the car has a at least a 3O% engine set back. a front opening hood would just be in the way and l really ain't a fan of the 4 hood pins just in case l am alone and have to pull off the hood.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back