My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neverdone if you running a sbc I had a similar problem and changed every gasket I could fine. It turned out to be a missing bolt on the right front of the block, about where the white outline is, it's a threaded boss for mounting something? It took be 3 weeks to figure it out. Hope this helps [S

fd75b3a9-7e15-4642-b4cf-1d944ba91c73_zps93547444.jpg

Well, I put the pan back on, filled it back up. So far so good. Need to reposition to a dry spot to watch for any further leaking....

Exciting day yesterday!!!!

Picked up my license plate. Thursday night, when the wife is home, we are going to go on our first legal drive. Not sure where to, but hoping all goes well. Cross your fingers everyone.

Neverdone if you running a sbc I had a similar problem and changed every gasket I could fine. It turned out to be a missing bolt on the right front of the block, about where the white outline is, it's a threaded boss for mounting something? It took be 3 weeks to figure it out. Hope this helps [S

fd75b3a9-7e15-4642-b4cf-1d944ba91c73_zps93547444.jpg

Could that possibly be to thread an oil pressure line to? I know Ford has one similar , but on the left side of the fuel pump. It is to run an oil pressure hose to.

Congratulations on becoming 'legal', Neverdone.
My wife perked right up when I took her for her first ride. It seems that the years of accumulating and welding together armloads of rusty junk did not intrigue her one bit, but, a ride in a hot rod was very cool.
Good Luck.

did a little clean up work on it last night. Feeling that tonight is going to be the night. 7 miles to the closest ice cream joint. That is the mission. As long as I don't run out of tranny fluid.

That hole in the front of a SBC is supposed to have a short 1/2" or 3/4" bolt in it and you take out the short bolt, put an extra long bolt in to hold the fuel pump push rod, up out of the way, while replacing the fuel pump.
Make sure you replace it with a short bolt or you'll loose oil or damage the cams pump lobe.

Congratulations on becoming 'legal', Neverdone.
My wife perked right up when I took her for her first ride. It seems that the years of accumulating and welding together armloads of rusty junk did not intrigue her one bit, but, a ride in a hot rod was very cool.
Good Luck.

LEGAL.... You mean all this time Neverdone has been "Jail Bait".:eek:
That's the problem with the internet.....
Congratulatons Neverdone. [cl [cl :D [cl
Torchie.

Thanks OI

That hole in the front of a SBC is supposed to have a short 1/2" or 3/4" bolt in it and you take out the short bolt, put an extra long bolt in to hold the fuel pump push rod, up out of the way, while replacing the fuel pump.
Make sure you replace it with a short bolt or you'll loose oil or damage the cams pump lobe.

Still learning after all these years. That will make changing fuel pumps eazier. I just i put in a shorty it's been running but i'll check when i get home.

NEVERDONE [cl[cl
It is a little scary the first time in public. On the plus side it would be a short walk. :)

Well due to work and junk....... I didn't get to make my first drive until Saturday evening. But we did get to go. On a smooth road it aint a bad ride. I have no speedometer so no idea how fast I was actually going, but it wasn't too bad and I didn't want to really push it just yet anyhow. Could use a little alignment in the front end, but not too bad. But we did make our destination.
IMG_20140628_201648_445_zpsoerinu67.jpg

After a quick snack we turned around and headed back. Just about the edge of town tragedy struck which I am going to blame on DIRTYRAT! We made it home, but by the time we got there I really couldn't see out the windshield from the coat of antifreeze all over it.

IMG_20140628_204721_123_zpsridjrf54.jpg

IMG_20140628_204734_759_zpszoxsmjxa.jpg

It never overheated, but by the time I snapped the pics it was just about out of antifreeze. So it is resting in the barn. We will try another drive just as soon as I can get the radiator fixed/replaced. Was about an 18 mile round trip, which I feel was a respectable first drive.

Watching

Hello from Arkansaw! :)
I just pulled the trigger on a 47 dodge project… I found your build through a goooooogle search of ratrod dodge pics and dig the direction you have taken your ride.[cl
Starting to go through your pages which lay out the top chop… I plan on doing a chop as well, so I thank you for showing how you went about completing the job…

Hello from Arkansaw! :)
I just pulled the trigger on a 47 dodge project… I found your build through a goooooogle search of ratrod dodge pics and dig the direction you have taken your ride.[cl
Starting to go through your pages which lay out the top chop… I plan on doing a chop as well, so I thank you for showing how you went about completing the job…

Glad you liked it bud!! There are many ways to do a chop, keep in mind that I did not show all the pie cuts that were eventually done in the roof to line it up.

So after speaking with my race shop neighbor I will be ordering an aluminum radiator for the dodge and he is going to do the mods to make it do what I need.

Glad you liked it bud!! There are many ways to do a chop, keep in mind that I did not show all the pie cuts that were eventually done in the roof to line it up.

So after speaking with my race shop neighbor I will be ordering an aluminum radiator for the dodge and he is going to do the mods to make it do what I need.

What mods are necessary?

Can you find a nearly direct replacement to what you already have in aluminum?

I'll never use anything but aluminum rads in any future projects, they're great.

What mods are necessary?

Can you find a nearly direct replacement to what you already have in aluminum?

I'll never use anything but aluminum rads in any future projects, they're great.

If you look at the pictures of the radiator you will notice that I kind of um well soldered some copper to the inlet of the radiator to move it up for the cantilever. If I am going to put in a new radiator it will be made more permanent and kind of showy than that. My neighbor is going to stop by tonight to investigate the situation and see what he can do. I found a couple cheap aluminum radiators that would be direct size replacement to what I have, then just have him move the crap on the side to get what I want.

Pulled the trigger on an aluminum 3 row radiator for the dodge this morning. Also ordered new bushings for the cantilever suspension up front. My race shop buddy is going to do the mods for me when it comes in.

Latest posts

Back