'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!

This spring I hauled this 1965 Land Rover home from a junkyard. It's so ugly I think it is cute. Has an aluminum body, so no rust. But lots of dents. The frame is rusted through in the rear. Maybe other places too. Currently sits 18" at the bottom of the rocker panels. Shooting for 7" when done.
Sunday my son helped me move it into the front garage.
It will get a Mustang II front suspension, S10 rear end on coilovers with ladder bars, a 283 sbc and a 200R4 transmission. Hoping to drive this thing 10 months a year.

Oh Crap Bob....another project??

Where the heck do you find the time??? Wow....did the Rover....can't wait to see what you have in mind....other than to drop it.....

I started dismantling it today. Hood, doors, seats frames and some small stuff. Unbolted the top so it can be removed tomorrow when help is available. Must have removed 50 1/4" fine thread nuts and bolts. Takes forever. There's a very active vintage Rover restorer population and if any of them see what I am doing I'll have to go into hiding.
I already have the engine, trans, rear end, Mustang II, radiator, etc. I watch Craigslist for super deals and buy stuff even if I'm not sure what project will receive the items. Saves lots of money compared to buying big items at the last minute.

Looking for decent mileage and reliability along with as much ride comfort and I can get out of an 88" wheelbase rig.

Sarge, I'm retired and except for babysitting 2 days a week I can spend lots of time in the garage. Problem is, my shoulder is still sore and very weak so I take lots of breaks and work a lot slower than normal. It's been bad for several months and while physical therapy has helped, I've been informed this is about as good as it will get.

Well I definitely have to watch this one from the beginning. Can't wait to see what you have in store for it.

Land Rovers rock!

Welcome to my world. (I'm a Teamster) As long as you keep moving.

I almost choked when I read that! I've worked for the federal and local governments since 1984. The only time I work hard is on my own stuff.

Where is isn't aluminum, there's rust. This is the passenger side toe board. The firewall/cowl is steel as it has to contain the door hinges and anchor other heavy items. The car was complete except for the banjo steering wheel. It has an OHV 4 cylinder. All the driveline goes away. It'd be nice if there was a Rover restorer I could sell it to.

Babysitting day but I did get the roof off today.

Hey Sam, I was in management for 37 years and didn't exactly bust my butt either. But I was responsible for a lot of stuff I had little control over.

Dang, I was hoping for front row seat for this build and here I am six or eight rows back already :mad: You all keep your hats off down front so I can see :D

Right here watching "The Master" Bob! :cool:

[P[P[P

Just ran out in the garage and took a pic with the top off. With it off, it sure causes one to envision all sorts of design ideas.

I'll bet zzrodder could really make something unique out of it. zz, PM me with design ideas so I can claim them as my own.:D

Thanks for the interest in this project everyone. Wish I was, but unfortunately I ain't no "Master" at anything. But thanks anyway Snake Farm.

I was in management for 37 years and didn't exactly bust my butt either. But I was responsible for a lot of stuff I had little control over.

Is that how the shoulder got damaged? patting each other on the back for the good work the minions did?:eek: That's how it happens at my job, they take the credit and give you the blame.

Project looks awesome!

I almost missed the start of this one Bob but I'm in! On a side note you can't find any of those up here for less than $4K in any condition. [P

I'd love to have that thing
Course it would cost me a small fortune to restore but
I love.old.four wheelers

Not Getting Any Prettier

Still in the take apart mode. It'a not coming apart easily. Everything on this machine is bolted together. Hundreds of them. Sure hope the Mustang II front suspension will fit without having to narrow it. I'll know tomorrow.

Should get everything except the rear end out of it Friday.

WOW, I read thru and am hoping you will reconsider and install a set of MOG axles.
I will have to admit that I frequent Pirate4X4. But, may as well keep it europeon. LOL

Latest posts

Back