The Wilkipedia Definition

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't someone from KillBillet post that def. to Wiki...

Gastrick is right, every soo often this gets posted on KB and it gets ugly for some reason.

My truck don't really fit as a "Rat Rod" so I just call it "Dark and Sarcastic":D

yeah, I don't know what to call my 64 either. People that see it call it a rat, but I don't know. That's why I posted it in the hotrod section. It's not really a hotrod either!:confused: All of my buddies and me call it the bone collector. When I first got the car I was changing out the gas tank. I looked in the bottom of the trunk pan and there is two bullet holes going straight down. I wonder what was shot?

Yeah!

And remember... some guy's wife had a really good description. She told a co-worker a rat rod was a car her husband made from junk he had laying around the garage! Pretty close!!!

BoB

1000 words

They say a picture is worth 1000 words...

Attachments

• 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 16
good ol wikipedia, the only place in cyberspace where anyone can post their opinion and call it a "definition". i have to admit though, it can be entertaining watching everyone's feathers get ruffled by something as irrelevant as a classification. my truck dosn't change if you call it hot rod instead of a rat rod, some people wouldn't even want to call it either because it's too new.... :p

Personally I thnk people jusy blow this way out of proportion. I actually like the definition. I don't consider rat rods totally traditional but I thnk they stem from the roots of traditional rods. I also think that rat rods are or could be built from parts you have left laying aroun... I know I did... I don't think all rat rods are unsafe but I do think they can be made to look unsafe just for effect...

There is a trend in the Rat Rod movement that leans toward overly dramatic, unsafe, and exaggerated vehicles built for nothing more than to display their "Radical" engineering at shows, rarely driving or moving under their own power for more than short distances.

the above is the only thing i don't really care for. The rest of it is pretty good i think. as far as building cars that are unsafe though, i don't think a single person on this board does that sort of thing. however, i can't vouch for the majority of people out there and even i have seen a few running around with open driveshafts in the cockpit :eek:.

However, several aspects of the "Rat Rod" style are often criticized by fellow hot-rodders. Most notably is the amount of effort put into some (but not all) of these cars to appear "unsafe and scary", whether this be only cosmetically (Radically chopped, sectioned, or lowered vehicles), which is simply a matter of taste, or in the engineering of the vehicle (Bad welds, inadequate construction/materials, or in braking, steering, and structural components), which is a matter of concern. However most of these "unsafe" vehicles are never inspected, registered, insured, or street driven.

"Traditional" Hot Rodders will often criticize the "exaggeration" of some of the cars constructed following the "Rat Rod" style. Some vehicles or body styles would quite simply have never been used as a Hot Rod in the early days of hot rodding, yet they are passed off as genuine in modern times. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often tacked on as a sort of combination of biker, greaser, rock-a-billy, and "Punk" culture continues to shape the fad of Rat Rodding culture.

The most severe criticism, however, is leveled by preservationists against those who transmogrify any rare surviving original, historic and probably-restorable vehicle into an irreversible caricature of itself. Someone has to save these cars, and not all can afford to restore them to original condition. Following the progression of "Rat Rodding" into a fad of sorts, many vehicles are mis-constructed as a simple low budget exaggeration of the traditional vehicles. These will often use truck cabs from the 50s without fenders, "mini-truck" frames from Toyotas, S-10s, and Rangers, and a various array of "accessories" attached to further exaggerate.

I decided to finish reading it. Earlier I said wikipedia definitions were more like opinions. The above reads more like an opinion then a definition. Thats what i don't like. I also don't see the majority of cars looking as described but, i may only really be looking at the ones I like, which tend to not be so greaser/crappy/whatever you want to call it. What do you guys see a trend in at car shows? I'm curious to know.

And remember... some guy's wife had a really good description. She told a co-worker a rat rod was a car her husband made from junk he had laying around the garage! Pretty close!!!

BoB

LOL i remember reading that i didn't think i would quit laughing

Latest posts

Back