Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Default chopping off roof.....

So I have a f1 cab that the roof is smashed. So I'm thinking of chopping off the roof. Like a roadster pickup. I'm assuming I need to stiffen up the cab . What would be a good way to do that? Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's my 2 cents....
If you have one use a pipe bender to make a pipe the will be welded to the upper edge of the body where you cut the roof off. As well as the tops of the door where you cut them off. It will help to stiffen the back of the cab as well as give it a finished look.
You can also acheive the same thing by making a series of cuts into the pipe and then bending it by hand.
You will also need to provide some sort of bracing from the cowl to the floor as this area bears most of the weight for the doors. I would also put in some rear door jambs to the floor bracing as well. These cabs get pretty sloppy once the roof is cut off.
I have seen some where the doors have been welded shut and the cab sectioned so you can step into the cab like you would a T-bucket but those have been really low.
This has been done on here more than once and hopefully some one will post a link to one of the threads.
Torchie
Old 01-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think it was g junction mike that did one.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM

Yea I was thinking of doing the pipe around the back of cab. I'm wondering how to stiffen the door jambs. I'm thinking big triangle plates..... almost as tall as the doors and maybe the base about 8 inches .... welded to the floor just inside where the doors close.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Brother Rat

Might wanna look at Boneheads last build: http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...=20508&page=70