torque converter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are the same.
The balance of a 400 engine is in the flex plate and harmonic balancer not the torque converter

I thought the th400 had a wider bolt pattern to flex plate?I know I had trouble one time because I had the small f plate and the holes wouldnt line up so I had to swap to 168 tooth with both patterns?

The 350 convertor that has the pads (uses a nut+bolt) , is a smaller bolt pattern. If it has a boss that a bolt goes into, it is a larger pattern. All 400's have the larger pattern. But the convertors are interchangeable. we use to put the small 350 convertor in the 400's for more stall.

The 350 convertor that has the pads (uses a nut+bolt) , is a smaller bolt pattern. If it has a boss that a bolt goes into, it is a larger pattern. All 400's have the larger pattern. But the convertors are interchangeable. we use to put the small 350 convertor in the 400's for more stall.

Bingo! Also the larger flywheels often have both bolt patterns making the swap even easier.

I just put in an Ultra Bell housing on my Rock Buggy, and found that some 350s only fit the smaller torque converters. This was on a 4x4 trans, but they are similar. It was the thickness not the diameter.

Thanks for the input .I checked out a company that makes them and they list both under the same part number. I got lucky , the one I got will fit.

Latest posts

Back