36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you guys are paying attention, Thank you for that ----- I guess.
Dr. C. you are the first guy that I've read, that wrote in 'tongue-in-cheek lisp'. In another story that I'm writing one character is a first nations guy, with a lot of bush wisdom and a heavy Cree accent, so I have to try to write in accent. It is quite difficult, so Dr. C. I give you full marks for your submission.

Today, I have the new little sending unit so I will exchange it in that horrible placement on a flathead and we will see if any magic appears.

I was hoping for the right parts to co-operate and show some magic. Voila, here is what idiot lights are supposed to do. The first picture is both the alternator and the oil pressure lights lit, with the key turned on, only. The second picture is with the motor running, both lights are now out. That's magic.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 34
Thank you guys.
I thought I was done tinkering on this truck for the season, but I topped up the antifreeze and now I noticed the homemade rad neck extension is leaking. I was going to put the '36 away in the shed for the winter today. Oh well.

I tinkered up a few more little things on the truck today, like gearshift boot may stay in place better now, oiled the speedometer [to no avail], and then took the '36 out for a test drive. The test drive went well except for the speedo which was sticking a bit in the summer and now it sticks more.
Anyhow, The truck is out of the shop and now put in the machine-shed for the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
Usually it’s dirty, dried up grease in the head deal. Sometimes you can clean one with spray cleaner and then lube it, but that doesn’t always work. May have to have a pro do it.

A dry and or kinked cable can cause one to jump,too. Kinda messy, but you can take the cable out of the sheath and roll it on a piece of glass to see if it’s kinked.

Dr. C. it's not clicking or skipping. It was sticking in the summer, at about 42 Kph going up and coming down but only momentarily. Now it seems to be stuck at about 5 K.
The speedo head was seized up when I got it at a swap meet, years ago, so I took it all apart and cleaned the rust out of it and sprayed it with some light oil. I think the rust has resurfaced again, so I'll have to take the head all apart again. In the spring. So Bama, I think it's a lube thing like you said first.

Last edited:
I have to come clean guys. I'm glad that I fooled you with the gauges but most of them are not original. The speedometer is old but cleaned up. The idiot lights are little plastic tubes that I get my pencil grinder burrs in. I just painted the back half pewter and glued a small LED bulb in the bottoms of each one, [I should have glued a bulb in the top, too]. The gauges are out of the donor Ranger, but they were all molded into a '36 gauge cluster housing.
I sure am a stickler for authenticity, even if I have to cheat like mad. :D:D

I have to come clean guys. I'm glad that I fooled you with the gauges but most of them are not original. The speedometer is old but cleaned up. The idiot lights are little plastic tubes that I get my pencil grinder burrs in. I just painted the back half pewter and glued a small LED bulb in the bottoms of each one, [I should have glued a bulb in the top, too]. The gauges are out of the donor Ranger, but they were all molded into a '36 gauge cluster housing.
I sure am a stickler for authenticity, even if I have to cheat like mad. :D:D

I had my suspicions [ddd
[cl
:cool:

Yeah, my gauges look original too..........until you see the SW down at the bottom. Put mine behind the factory gauge pod too. I would post a pic but I don’t have one on this iPad. You can see mine on my build thread if interested.

Last winter when I put the '36 away in the machine shed I had taken it out on the county road for short drive. That doesn't count. Today was it's maiden voyage with that new motor. It was about 70 miles. In the middle of the trip I stopped at a friends place to visit and told him the trucks symptoms. We retarded the distributor about 20*, found one weak spark plug, and found a vacuum leak under the middle carb. Now I have tightened up all of the carbs, so I hope I have cured the fast idle.
I had quite a bit of pre-ignition when I stepped on the gas a little harder, when I was going to town, but after retarding the distributor, I went along pretty good. Not perfect, yet though. Anyhow, here I am back home again.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back