50 Dodge Pilot

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an ambitious project for me. My past experience has been engine swaps, stuff like that., never a chassis swap. Much appreciate your suggestions Skull. :)
When I was setting up my 39, I set the front fenders where they needed to be, then worked back from there. Tricky work, but patience pays off. Don't bolt anything in permanent until you have everything where you want it.

@Skull-- The couple inches forward on the front wheels kinda' gives it an aggressive look. Like old gassers. Not a bad thing at all.

Steering box

Need some pointers on how the get this apart. The clamp is loose, but the column is fighting back. I would like to preserve these parts for future use.
Cab is unbolted, and ready to lift off.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20171202_162048.jpg
    20171202_162048.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 97
Made in Canada

This truck was built in Ontario. Model is DF-1. Stock flatbed maybe. Original color blue perhaps.

attachment.php
May

Attachments

• 20171202_161634.jpg
    20171202_161634.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 102
That clamp only holds the outside tube. The shaft is one piece from the box to the steering wheel. You'll have to take the wheel off, then take the box off and drop the box and column out the bottom.

Or do it the quick way, saw or cutting torch the shaft and column and leave the box on the frame.

Column, pointers

Much appreciate the tip Bamamav. I'm gonna take it apart, no saw, no torch. May expand my vocabulary doin it. My wife has the stock column in her Pilot. Parts are good.

Skip., Skull. I thank you both for your suggestions. You have both been there before me.

frame work

I'm thinking box it, then cut off the front portion of the stock frame and graft it onto the S10 chassis to support the front clip. Ideas? I want to get this right.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20171202_161325.jpg
    20171202_161325.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 82
keep

are you planning on keeping the straight axle?

if so, l am not to sure how to graft the S 1O to the dodge[S

how wide is the S 1O frame and how wide is the dodge frame where they need to be joined?

how would it affect the cab mounts?

what steering box?

a few more l am sure but for now that is something to start with for now.

Later:cool:

details

I plan to use the stock S10 Chassis and save the Dodge I Beam, column, steering box and rear axle for other projects. Was just thinking I could use the very front portion of the Dodge chassis, cut it off, modify as needed, weld it onto the front of the S10 chassis as an attach point for the Dodge front clip.

If the Dodge body is anywhere near a 50"s Chevy then, you won't have room to graft the frame horns onto the front of the S10 frame stub. You'll have to make the front clip body mounts.

Frame front cab mounts

1. Measure the distance from the axle center-line to the mounts, and the width of the frame at the frame head on the Dodge.
  2. Take the same measurements on the S10 chassis.
  3. Compare.
This should give you a pretty good indication of whether your idea will work or not.

front clip placement

Its clear the axle center line is the key. I will act on your advice Skip and set the front clip in place and work from there. Lots of measuring and work. I understand now that I will need to make the front body mounts to get it right. Thanks Skull., Iron., for your thoughts.

flathead

Still won't turnover. Too interesting to scrap. Tried to take head off for a look, remaining bolts a pain.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20171202_162121.jpg
    20171202_162121.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 120
pics

on my build thread:

page 2 first pic

page 5 has where the motor mounts had to be moved back to fit properly and clear things up front, hence the wheel barrow for firewall clearance in the rear, if needed those pics are on my thread also

page 19 some pics of grafted frame of old frame to new for bumper, rad and other stuff to mount

page 38 cab frame mount reattached for cab to bolt on

if you need more frame pics of where the camaro sub-frame is welded to the original chassis as the front sheet metal is off 'cause l am working on the damaged sheet metal-- l can get somemore in the daylight of the place where we married the two.

l know it may be a little different on the S 1O stuff, but, it gives a general idea of how l did mine.

Last edited:
Road Map

:) A BIG Thank You Skull for sharing. Your photos tell it well. The frame graft for supports is there to see. Will need to make my engine mounts too. Yes I would like to see your sub frame attachment points to the stock frame.

frame part one

we just set the stock dodge frame on top of the camaro sub-frame to get it where l wanted it to set.

pic 1- stock frame to camaro for bumper/sheet metal mounts

pic 2- plate welded to both frames with the camaro on the bottom

pic 3- camaro resting on the dodge with trans mount

pic 4- plate is welded to both frames, you can't see in the pic but both frames are welded to each other

pic 5- another angle of the 2 frame mating

pic 6- dodge frame angle cut to rest on top of the camaro sub-frame

pic 7- shot of plate from front

pic 8- another shot of plate from the front

pic 9 & 1O- mating of stock pieces we cut off and grafted to camaro sub-frame for bumper and sheet metal.

Attachments

• jimmy frame 001.jpg
    jimmy frame 001.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 30
  • jimmy frame 008.jpg
    jimmy frame 008.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29
  • jimmy frame 014.jpg
    jimmy frame 014.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 31
  • jimmy frame 018.jpg
    jimmy frame 018.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 29
  • jimmy frame 019.jpg
    jimmy frame 019.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 27
  • jimmys frame 002.jpg
    jimmys frame 002.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 27
  • jimmys frame 009.jpg
    jimmys frame 009.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 29
  • jimmys frame 010.jpg
    jimmys frame 010.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 30
  • jimmys frame 005.jpg
    jimmys frame 005.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 26
  • jimmys frame 003.jpg
    jimmys frame 003.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 26
more

odds and ends

Later :cool:

Attachments

• jimmys frame 007.jpg
    jimmys frame 007.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 16
  • jimmys frame 006.jpg
    jimmys frame 006.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 16
  • jimmy frame 023.jpg
    jimmy frame 023.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 14
  • jimmys frame 011.jpg
    jimmys frame 011.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 15
  • jimmys frame 001.jpg
    jimmys frame 001.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
  • jimmy frame 006.jpg
    jimmy frame 006.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
  • jimmy frame 002.jpg
    jimmy frame 002.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 14
Sub frame install

I like your double stack subframe set up and additional fabrication work to beef it up. Its like a Z'd frame. The truck sits nice. I will take my time with mock up to get the front clip and cab on the S10 frame. What year Camaro subframe did you use?

Thanks Skull, appreciate your time to load photos and share details.

More progress. The rusty Dodge donor is coming apart.

Attachments

• 20171207_155842.jpg
    20171207_155842.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 14
Horn button

Any idea how I can get this horn button off without breaking it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20171202_161545.jpg
    20171202_161545.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back