Top Loader

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

Who runs a top loader in their 30's-40's rat?

I could get a deal on a GM SM465, but it seems like a really bulky unit for me, since I have a 6 inch chop and my channel will be close to 6 inches as well.

Pros? Cons?

Can I get your guy's thougts before I go see it and spend some dough. I don't know the actual dimensions but I figure that its a decent sized box, since it is supposedly the toughest GM 4 speed truck granny tranny. I am trying to go look at it tomorrow, but of course my mind is racing.

Thanks,
YB

Top Loader - NO GO, duh...

After taking some measurements I have come to the gross realization that a top loader won't work for obvious reasons, especially an SM465.

The fact that it is 11 inches wide doesn't seem that big until you take the measurements of an old truck cab that will be channeled 6 inches, you realize how much space there actually is inside our trucks: NONE. I would have room for only two pedals anyway.

Also the fact that its a top loader, for obvious reasons, would make routing a Curly-Q shifter under my dash create the anti-look I am going for.

Even though finding a 4 speed out of a car has been impossible, I am going to have to wait until I come across one, or a 3 speed maybe, as those boxes are generally smaller.

FWIW many of us think of the Ford car 4 speed when you say "top loader" What you are refering to is a truck tranny, or granny gear tranny. I don't think many people would go for a hard shifting 3 speed (who ever needs granny) that takes up that much room and weighs a ton, unless it was an old pickup that already had it (like mine)

Latest posts

Back