Lokar shifters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shizzy

what is everyones opinions of Lokar shifters? I have a B & M Mega shifter in my 72 Cutlass and its silly. its a cable operated ratchet shifter. I dont race the car and its an automatic. I have broken more cables then I care to remeber. No matter how or where I route the cable it ends up rubbing on something and breaking. on top of that I have never once been able to adjust the cable properly.

All I want to do is get in the car, put it in drive and cruise. I also want it to have a little bit of class.

I have my eye on the tranny mount lokar with the 6" stick. bolts right to the tranny and is rod actuated. sounds like a good winner to me.

I have two Lokar shifters in my cars. For the purpose that you are having issues with, the Lokar will work for you but the shifter still needs to be in correct adjustment to function properly. Personally, I wish that I would have used a Gennie shifter. I like the way they work better and changing shift knobs is much easier. No adapter needed.

For the record, I've never had a problem with a cable shifter. The upside to the cable shifter is that you don't have to cut an access hole in your trans tunnel. You probably will with the Lokar.

We have two Lokar shifters, one in my T and one in my Son's T. We like them, especially the shorter stick one I have (16 inch?). My Son's is a longer stick (23 inch?) and he has had it drop down a gear going over RR tracks. I called Lokar and they say there is an adjustment nut that can be tightened up, so we are going to do that.

Dan had a Gennie in his '29 and although he never actually got to drive the car, the shifter seemed nice and firm to shift. But I really can't say one is better than the other. I have nothing bad to say about my Lokar other than the neutral safety switch is tough to adjust correctly. I still need to do some adjusting to mine, and this is a common complaint I have seen on the HAMB.

Don

Attachments

• T just back from upholstery shop 005.jpg
    T just back from upholstery shop 005.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
  • dons t interior finished 001.jpg
    dons t interior finished 001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 26
thanks for the input guys. The trans tunnel is already butchered so Im already going to have to do a bit of work cleaning it up anyhow, so no worries if I have to cut a new hole.

you may have had luck with cable shifter, but not me. Im done with cables.

thanks for the input guys. The trans tunnel is already butchered so Im already going to have to do a bit of work cleaning it up anyhow, so no worries if I have to cut a new hole.

you may have had luck with cable shifter, but not me. Im done with cables.

The Lokar should work fine for you then. No cables to deal with. Just the rod like you said.

I did just the opposite of what you want to do. I removed a Lokar shifter and put a B&M Megga shifter in. The Lokar was OK but I like the B&M better. It's been in 3 years with no cable problems. I don't race either but it's fun to run thru the gears with that ratchet. HB

Latest posts

Back