whats the best manual tranny for a flathead?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter1111

I am new to the site so please dont flame me if im asking something that has been asked before. (like they do on the hamb) .... I have a 34 ford pickup and am debating on rebuilding a flathead or a nailhead but before i decide which to rebuild im trying to do some research on what will come out easier and cheaper and a big factor is the transmission and adapters.

I have been told t5s are the best but i would like more opinions.
I was thinking of finding a donor ford mustang or ranger so i would have the tranny, driveshaft, and rearend. I do autobody for a living but when it comes to mechanics i need it as simple as i can get it :) Pulling an assembly would help alot so what year of cars/trucks etc is recomended?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks Hunter

A T5 from a late stang is a good pick but.... shifter location is way back to far. This can be fix'd with tail shaft from S10 with manual speedo drive. Or....good ole fashion muncie 4 speed will do......lots of gear combos.

Not sure what width the stang rear is but the 8.8 is a good choice. Another option is 9" ford.

Just depends on your source for parts.

Ratty 46

So when you say a stang tranny with a s10 tailshaft you actually are using two trannys to make one? Would it be better to just have an s10 tranny?

I have a 3 spd muncie in my truck currently but its non synchronized and has issues. I would like to see what other people are doing. I just dont know much about this kind of stuff.

Thanks, Hunter
[email protected]

I recently went this specific way except I was able to find a S10 trans with the manual sending unit for the speedo. A couple of people make an adaptor to couple it all together.
BUT..... if you get a stang T5 you will find that the shifter location in about 10 inched farther back than the shorter S10's. So IF.......IF you need the strenght of the stang trans you'll have to get the tail shaft HOUSING and its guts to replace the other.
I hope I've been specific enough.

You will also need a hogs head from a mid 40's truck.

Dwight Bond is the guy that I got my adaptor & hogs head from. Good guy. Do a search for him. I think he's in Ind.

Picture1363.jpg

Picture1358.jpg

Picture1357.jpg

Ratty 46

There were many different different gear ratios used in the T5,
depending on motor and application.

A trans from a 4 cyl or v6 would probably work best behind a flathead.

I am new to the site so please dont flame me if im asking something that has been asked before. (like they do on the hamb)

HEY NEWBIE..........DID YOU EVER HEAR OF THE SEARCH FUNCTION?????? :eek::D
Just kidding, wanted to make you feel at home, that's all. :):)

Don't worry about EVER getting beat up on here for anything like that, we are civilized people over here. :)

Don

If you're looking for an entire vehicle to buy as a "donor" I'd look for an S-10. A guy in the club just bought a running (but very rusty) 1988 S-10 Blazer for $100 to mount his 1950 Willys truck body on. It didn't have the manual transmission in his case but I'd bet you could find one that did if you looked a little- these trucks are SUPER common.
If you picked up the whole truck you could probably use the rear axle (provided it is not too wide) and you would have a driveshaft that was correct at both ends that could potentially be modified to almost any length you needed if it didn't work out right.
If you find a truck cheap enough you could grab what you need, scrap out what's left and maybe even come close to breaking even on it.

Start searching Craigslist.:)

Jay

tranny

when it comes to sbc transmissions if you want a 5-speed overdrive you really only have two options a nv3500 or a t5. there are pros and cons of both but thats a hole different thread. I got a t5 from an 88 iroc but i had to pay for it too. If i were to do agian i would get a nv3500 from an s-10 for cheap. but if you plan on really grabbing gears you might want to got with a t5

I did a little searching on T5s and the amount of information and different variations will clog up your head and make you fall over.
Most Rangers have a built on bell housing and probably aren't a T5 anyway.
Well, it looks like you got the good skinney on what you need, just curious about the Muncie behind a flatty. Is that using an adapter? If so maybe a chevy pattern tranny will bolt right up.
I am attempting to put a Mustang 4 banger unit behind my 260 becuase I can find them local for cheap.

I know...the more i read the more i get confused..... it would be nice if an s10 t5 would bolt up to my chevy 235 i have in the truck right now....that way i could make sure i like it and then when my flathead is done and ready to go in the truck i could just bolt the t5 to the flathead (with an adapter of course). Would help on the moneyside as well...kinda stretch it out since the flathead rebuild is EXPENSIVE!

I use a nv3500 behind a sbc in my 94 s-10 and it has lasted really well even thought i don't beat on it to often. I don't know if you would be able to use a nv3500 on your flathead since the bell housing on those are not removable like the t-5's are.

Latest posts

Back