A Real Barn Find

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddguy1

A good buddy of mine heard of a 64 Chevelle in a barn three summers ago. He's really not the type of guy to put that much effort into building a car but decided to buy it anyway. I knew at that time I would likely end up with the car sooner or later. I was right. Here are some pics from the day we pulled it out of the barn and dragged it to his place.

Attachments

• Paul's 64 Malibu 002.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 002.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 004.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 004.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 005.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 005.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 008.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 008.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 147
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 014.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 014.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 017.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 017.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 020.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 020.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 021.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 021.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 030.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 030.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Paul's 64 Malibu 031.jpg
    Paul's 64 Malibu 031.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 155
The story on this car is this. The fellow that owned the car had pulled it apart and started the build about 15 years ago. He got as far as putting together a pretty nice 350 with a saginaw 4 speed behind it, but apparently he fell ill at this time. So he stored most of the car in his friends barn, then unfortunately he passed away from his illness. My buddy then found it and has been sitting on it untill just this week when he decided to pass it to me. My plans for this car are pretty extrem. A friend of mine owns a chassie shop and will be using the frame from this car to help prototype a chassie he plans to produce using all Vet suspension components. Progress will however be slow as I have just moved my shop once again to a larger location and work is pilling up. I also have my rat that is still looking for more attention, but the new year should see some pretty interesting things happening here.

Awesome find..my second car, I had a 64 SS with the chromed out (high perf 230..LOL:D) and powerglide..supposedly a pretty rare car..I changed the motor,drove it and raced it for years until I decided to go Pro Street with it..found alot more rust than I was capable of dealing with..Kept or sold most of the parts and sent the body and frame to the junkyard:mad: I loved that car, only thing I have left is the factory chrome valve cover and aircleaner off of the 230 and the Malibu SS emblems off the quarters..

Congrats on a cool find

Tim

Nice find, in decent shape to! One of my first cars was a 66 malibu. I was in highschool and one of by buddies had a full size blazer that he had blown the motor in. He was asking around if anyone could help him do a transplant from a car he got cheap. I asked about it and he said he paid 100 dollars for this 66 malibu and he was just going to take it to the boneyard after he had the motor. I told him the boneyard would only give him 35 bucks for a non-running car with not even a boat anchor for weight. He didnt believe me, checked with the boneyard and confirmed what I had told him. I told him that I would give him 50 if he brought it to my house. Cheapest musclecar I ever owned.:D

Thumbs up Roddguy looks like a pretty clean 64.
When i was 18 I bought a maroon 65 SS 4 speed 300 hp 327 w/black interior for $1,500.00 this was in 69 so the car was only 4 years old :D
An old couple pulled out in front of me 3 months later and the car became history :(
Enjoy your find congratulations [cl

Now that is really a barn find. :D The term is overused but this time it fits to a T.

Car looks very solid and will make you a nice cruiser when done. Keep us in the loop, please.

Don

Hey Rod guy

Major flashbacks here

It's 1980 all over again. I am racing roundy rounds at the local dirt track. We are rubbing door to door and fender to fender....the dust and the ruts are horrendous but we still keep racing..Camaros...Chevelles...Mustangs...'Cuda's too....Oh my gosh..I can almost hear Fleetwod Mac playing in the back ground...
Thanks for the flashback memory.
MikeC

Really nice find....

you hear about this stuff but never seem to locate it....good luck with your new project....[cl

I bet you're pretty excited to have a Chevelle again. Great score!

Excited...... oh yeah! Actually that is a bit of an understatement. After the disasterous loss of my 66 in the shop fire, followed closely by the lose of my dad (much worse by the way) I'm really looking forward to this build.

Thanks guys for sharing your stories of your cars. Past and present. I know we all have them and it's always fun to go back and think of those cars and the days we were kings of the road. [P I'm planing a few more days just like that for myself. [cl

wow!!!

my favorite. when i was 5 my grandpop bought a 65 ss 283 4speed duals in that teal color whatever thats really called. i was in love with it then and still in love with them now. great car good luck Lee

in that teal color whatever thats really called.

ah yes, sea foam green it was called! I had a 65 and I found it kinda the same way your buddy did only my body was on 55 gallon drums in a field! I worked all summer cleaning and painting the underside of the floor, cleaning and painting the chassis, sorting through all the parts and keeping the best stuff. Oh, I was 16 and bought it for $200! never got it running. Swapped it for a 400 sbc for a camaro I got.

You horrible people!!!!! I'm disgusted with the fact stuff like this is still out there!!! In New Zealand even finding a good condition 80s Japanese or Australian barn find car is extremely rare. Most have gone to scrap years ago (or demo derbied, which I am extremely guilty of). Even my Dad, who works for the largest scrapyard in our region, doesn't see much. If he does its normally completely rotten and beyond repair, its extremely rare its American too.

Latest posts

Back