Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After that last post I was beginning to think that I was rubbing off on you smallfoot [ddd :rolleyes:
Great to hear that you are back "On the road".......
Torchie

Gotta admit I don't know squat about this locking carrier other than what I've been reading. Up on jacks, everything was turning easy and making no funny noises. Looking at it in the housing it looks like a chinese firedrill to me...:D I didn't pull the carrier...wouldn't know what to look for if I did on it. Maybe one day when I'm not doing anything meaningful, I'll tear into it just to find out. Going down the road, I can't tell much other than the extra launch with lower gears and both rears will spin if ya want. Pulled into the gas station and it sounded like brakes dragging. Not sure if it's locking in and then not coming out of locked. Don't know! Coming back in from that ride, it felt almost like something back there was slower the coasting down like brakes dragging. They were not!
My test ride today got me back in the feeling I'll be ok with this smaller rear if I stay out of it some....yeah right!!! Like talking about gas mileage...when you like the sound of the secondaries opening up, gas mileage is a long ways off. :p

Funny what you don't see sometimes [S Like a cracked head :eek:

Glad to hear your driving again [cl
Thanks soltz! Yessir, hoping for the best and not being thorough...the assembly didn't have wheels and tires on it when I got it from the junkyard. I spun the axles but didn't see it and all I heard sounded like shoes rubbing on rotors and all that was due to be replaced...shoulda seen the tracks my left side rear tire left in the sand...:D

After that last post I was beginning to think that I was rubbing off on you smallfoot [ddd :rolleyes:
Great to hear that you are back "On the road".......
Torchie
I hope you're determination rubs off....:D

Holy moly, Rocky. That's tough. It's good you're a young fella and can handle all that heavy work.
Bob, I hope I'm still moving when I get your age but this 64 year old frame has been damaged since 19 and it ain't looking good. I have developed ways of dealing with working by myself and have some tricks to getting things done. I always "pay" for it later when heavy lifting is involved and try to avoid it at all costs. One screw up will put me out of the picture for days...

Dang!!! When it rains it pours. Sorry to hear all the agony.
Every time I think I hear a strange noise I wonder what now and nail it so it's easy to find when it comes apart.

Hope you have some smooth miles for a while .

Dang!!! When it rains it pours. Sorry to hear all the agony.
Every time I think I hear a strange noise I wonder what now and nail it so it's easy to find when it comes apart.

Hope you have some smooth miles for a while .

Thanks Pops! Yeah, you know how it is when you first put one on the road after the build. You listen to everything. It seems to be back to it's old self now. The ride was nice...no problems except for the liquid sunshine we've been having!:rolleyes:

I-R-POPS thats a great attitude you got there .. sounds like a winner to me .. I get so tired of chasing a tick or a skip or something thats you dont find ..but its there.. stomp it so it will be easy to find when it comes apart .. [cl[cl

I-R-POPS thats a great attitude you got there .. sounds like a winner to me .. I get so tired of chasing a tick or a skip or something thats you dont find ..but its there.. stomp it so it will be easy to find when it comes apart .. [cl[cl

It works for me! And if it doesn't come apart, ignore it.

:D:D:D it's a long ride to anywhere from out here and nobody to call at home to bring the trailer.

I'm a firm believer in AAA with my attitude.

a horrifying amount of work ya got in that thing.
reminds me of my build and when i look back at that
i flinch :D

Thanks billy! It is supposed to be fun building one and maybe I bit off more than most people would want to chew but I'm one of those obstinate sons of guns and got more of a kick out of seeing the naysayer's faces when it started coming around. :D

little update

I got about 2300 miles on the truck now and for the most part, they've been trouble free miles. On only two occasions have I had trouble on the road and I wish I had the foresight to carry a camera every time I take a ride. My first trouble was a broken throttle cable and for the likes of me, I wish I had a video...came around the corner with a friend named Andy in the truck and was showing off a little. Stomped to skinny pedal and wham, to the floor...great showoff....:rolleyes: The humorous part is that the cable was now too short and I had nothing in my tool box to replace it and was contemplating looking for a strand of barb wire or something I could use. I was only 5 miles from the gate and another 1 1/2 miles into the barn. My buddy took off his boot lace which was longer than my tennis shoe lace and handed it ti me....excellent! Tied it to my throttle arm and threw it through the windshield gap and drove her home....shoe lace in hand, heheh! The only other road trouble so far was a busted radiator hose which looked like a punture from something thrown off the front tire. A little bit of shortening and rerouting the hose and we were back on the road....it's been good a good ride !! And so far I haven't been stranded for more than a few minutes.

Awesome, man! And looks GREAT in this photo ^^^. :)
Thanks Dave! You can see we've been having some rain around here this year. That's the St. Johns River in the background starting to run out of it's banks....that's alot of river to overflow. It's about 1/4 mile wide at that area and gets bigger as it goes north. Glug glug!
And soltz, yessir, every day I wake up still sucking air, I figure is a gift...

X's 2^^^^^^
That's your calendar shot right there.:D [cl :cool:
Torchie

HMMM! Not the one I sent but thanks! It was one of my favorites. I was having intermittent rain and clouds and the truck details weren't as good I didn't think. I wanted one with water involved but trying to stay within the guidelines for the calendar, it's hard not to have trees in the shot around here so they don't bother me as background. It's still swimming weather around here so beach shots were out. You can't get onlookers out of the way long enough....:rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back