"Bickle" 1948 3100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What solves the adjustment problem?

sorry! my convoluted speech, the headlights I use come with a new mounting ring and adjusters. on these old headlight buckets usually the springs and most times the adjusters are broken, so I would need new buckets if I used a three prong sealed beam. these come as one assembly, neolite neo 757.

attachment.php

Attachments

• neo757-1.jpg
    neo757-1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 53
67 & later VW units fit most buckets with minor trimming, and they adjust easily. I don't know if they are cheap any more. I got a set of of CL.

thats what these are is for a "kombi" (bus) or other VW. I wish I could find another supplier, I used to get the same thing on ebay but higher quality for a lower price, made in france. small differences, but better. cheaper too, classic garage keeps raising prices

thats what these are is for a "kombi" (bus) or other VW. I wish I could find another supplier, I used to get the same thing on ebay but higher quality for a lower price, made in france. small differences, but better. cheaper too, classic garage keeps raising prices
I'llbedamned. That's too funny. [clAll the variations of VWs used the same units back then.

keeping myself honest about the tie rod was a good plan. I know its the taper that holds it not the nut, and the cotter pin would have held the nut on, but I will still feel better about replacing it. I had to use a balljoint separator to provide a little tension on the stud to get the nut loose, but I did and replaced it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I put the wheels on and let the air out of the suspension.

attachment.php

KIDDING! I will build an earthworm someday though.

got the fenders bolted up, this is why I like shortening an ext cab, both front and rear wheels end up exactly dead center of the wheelarch.

attachment.php

my paint job turned out ok after sanding.

attachment.php

welded on the running board mounts and got them bolted up. wiped it all down for the picture.

attachment.php

just need to bolt the hood on and the drivers door, then glass and gauges and interior and thats that. I want it done this coming weekend so I will be assess and elbows on it this week.

Attachments

• IMG_7696.jpg
    IMG_7696.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7695.jpg
    IMG_7695.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7703.JPG.jpg
    IMG_7703.JPG.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7704.jpg
    IMG_7704.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7710.jpg
    IMG_7710.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7718.jpg
    IMG_7718.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 38
Gotta love it when a plan comes together [cl[cl I think this must be your third or fourth complete build while I'm still on the the same one. :rolleyes:

the drivers door had a broken hinge, and a smashed cowl from banging in the wind all those years. I repaired the hinge and the cowl but the door had a bunch of tears that made it really flimsy. I stitched them up like scars, there was these two big ones and even more in the jamb area.

attachment.php

installed the door and shut it and it was super tight, crammed against the cowl and would not budge rearward. only took a minute to figure out why.

attachment.php

thats gotta be like 2 dollars worth of washers. :D. I took them out and adjusted the door a little, not enough though.

attachment.php

the red dot on the door, I am thinking of leaving it, it was the indicator for "scrap", I literally bought this truck away from the scrapper by doubling his offer ($100). aside from the cowl and door, its been the nicest I have used.

got the hood on too, everything lines up well. I had dusted some black on the rust, it matches pretty well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

if I had my druthers I would have an iinch more lip on the rear wheels but beggars cant be choosers.

Attachments

• IMG_7733.jpg
    IMG_7733.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7731.jpg
    IMG_7731.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7732.jpg
    IMG_7732.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7724.jpg
    IMG_7724.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7726.JPG.jpg
    IMG_7726.JPG.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 53
thanks guys! its funny, when I told people about the yellow fenders black everything else they all looked like they got their lips caught in a screw gun. but now that its in person, people seem to like it. my college colors are black and yellow, I didnt even think about that either!

glass in! new felts and wipers on the door.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

other side done too, have the inner frames out to bond the new felt strips to.

backed in under its own power, first time! brakes still a little soft, new calipers probably still full of air. will bleed them again.

tomorrow gauges and taillights, maybe headliner too. tehn its carpet and bumpers and little stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_7742.jpg
    IMG_7742.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7743.jpg
    IMG_7743.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7747.jpg
    IMG_7747.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7748.jpg
    IMG_7748.jpg