No, that ain't ice...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

No, that ain't ice...
Today, 11:03 AM
Friday I got in early enough to cut my overdue grass. Wife was gone in the Expy, I had done made it to the back yard cutting when she came out back, hands on hips, wanting me for something. I cut the mower off, she yelled, "Come look what you've done!" Walked under the carport, got sick. Apparently I had slung a rock from the front into the carport, destroying the rear glass on the Firebird. Glad I got full glass coverage, I bet that sucker is expensive! Got to get with Grundy Monday and see what they say do.

Attachments

• fbird glass1.jpg
    fbird glass1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 43
  • fbird glass2.jpg
    fbird glass2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 40
  • fbird glass3.jpg
    fbird glass3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 40
  • fbird glass4.jpg
    fbird glass4.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 33
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You however did make me feel not as bad. Last weekend I put a rock through a cellar window while mowing my lawn. You also reminded me that I need to get it fixed.

Could have been worse, could have been the Lincoln back glass, which is no longer made. Worse comes to worse, at least I can still find ragged out Firebirds and change the whole hatch.

Been living here 42 years, that’s only the second vehicle glass I’ve broke, other one was a door window in a Freightliner that I fixed myself. I did put a hole through a storm window once, too. Got lucky it didn’t hit the big picture window in the living room, got one of the smaller side windows.

I need to just pave that side so I won’t have to mow it anymore, or enclose the carport. Enclosure might be cheaper....

I need to just pave that side so I won’t have to mow it anymore, or enclose the carport. Enclosure might be cheaper....

Back in the '80s a good friend of mine worked for a chemical company. They made some kind of "sterilizer" which he and I used (triple strength) for a vengeance purpose. I can tell you with absolute certainty, not a damn thing grew in the treated area for years. [ddd

I'm sure that ^^^ concoction was chock full of substances you can't buy today, but its intended purpose was for driveways and other aggregate projects.

Just thinkin' out loud here, Bama... my next door neighbour has a neat product hung on his chain link fence. It's a screen type fabric applied for privacy, yet breathes well and stands up to the weather. Near as I can tell, your carport is exposed to the south, so a "soft shade" might serve you better than a hard covering, which may create an oven. [S

That really sucks.....but...What are the chances! You won't win the lottery, but sure as hell one little rock will find the wrong target and make a perfect shot.

....like the time a spent bottle rocket landed right through the opening of the pull tab in the beer I was holding....

Back in the '80s a good friend of mine worked for a chemical company. They made some kind of "sterilizer" which he and I used (triple strength) for a vengeance purpose. I can tell you with absolute certainty, not a damn thing grew in the treated area for years. [ddd

I'm sure that ^^^ concoction was chock full of substances you can't buy today, but its intended purpose was for driveways and other aggregate projects.

Just thinkin' out loud here, Bama... my next door neighbour has a neat product hung on his chain link fence. It's a screen type fabric applied for privacy, yet breathes well and stands up to the weather. Near as I can tell, your carport is exposed to the south, so a "soft shade" might serve you better than a hard covering, which may create an oven. [S

Actually, it's open to the north, south, and east. We drive in from the north side, the front. I can also drive out the back, or south side. The car was in that far south bay, next to the house. I usually back it in, but the wife drive it last and pulled in, putting the rear toward the road. Would have been better to hit the windshield, it might have left a BB or even bounced off.

They didn’t call me today.:( I filed an online claim, but I’m not sure it went through. Going to give them a call tomorrow. Actually, the insurance is through Philadelphia Indemnity, Grundy is just the agent. I’ve used them for towing a few times without a problem, but never had a claim other than that.

Round one, not too good....

Called Philly today to make my claim. They transferred me to their glass breakage section, ok. Everything went smoothly, lady found a shop that they used pretty close to me, connected us up. I tell the guy the info, says he can do it, says he’ll call back. True to his word, he calls back a little later.

He can’t get the glass.:( His supplier says it’s no longer made. He said he found a couple of places on the west coast that claim to have one, but the freight is more than he’ll make on the job! Recommends Safelite to try. Call Philly back, explain what I was told, so they get with Safelite. Same answer, don’t have it, can’t get it.:( So, I ask about the first guys recommendation of finding a used glass, Philly is ok with that, then I blow their mind when I tell them I’ll probably have to have the entire hatch and there will be paint involved on any used hatch. She couldn’t grasp why it would need paint, had to describe to her three times before she understood. But when I asked how to go about paying for one and any paintwork, even said I’d do the paint myself, blew her mind again! She called two or three people to try and get an answer, to no avail. Supposed to have an adjuster call me, hasn’t happened yet....

One good thing, I found a bare Used glass on eBay of all places, about 120 miles from me! Road trip! As soon as they give me the ok that they will reimburse me, I’ll go get it, with a charge for me having to go get it myself of course!

With the bare glass, I can use my rear panel, so no paint needed. I’ll probably let the glass guy mate the two parts, that way I’ll know it’s right. I don’t trust myself to do it because I’ve never seen one done, if I had I’d probably try it.

Was really hoping I could just find a parts car with a good hatch and rear spoiler, but none showing up right now. A few months back when I didn’t have any money, there were several on marketplace and Craigslist, now, nothing:(.

Latest posts

Back