Coil over shocks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docrock100

I am building a model a and don't like the buggy spring setup. Can you just run coil overs?

Sure you can, but you will need to keep them from moving around by putting on front to back locators, like a four bar setup or hairpins, and also a panhard or watts linkage from side to side to keep it from moving that direction too.

For the typical model a weight car you want something in the 140 pound rate category.

Don

Thanks Guys that is awesome. I am doing a four link to keep the axle from changing camber. I will figure out the panhard bar after I build the cross over linkage and the steering box.

Let me offer up a budget coilover alternative. I couldn't see spending big bucks on aftermarket units so I hit the local Pick-N-Pull to see what I could find. An '88 Subaru station wagon gave up it's coilovers. $18 for the pair. I replaced the shocks for another $60. A lot cheaper than the fancy ones and they do a great job. They're in the 130-150 pound range, just about right for your A model.

Let me offer up a budget coilover alternative. I couldn't see spending big bucks on aftermarket units so I hit the local Pick-N-Pull to see what I could find. An '88 Subaru station wagon gave up it's coilovers. $18 for the pair. I replaced the shocks for another $60. A lot cheaper than the fancy ones and they do a great job. They're in the 130-150 pound range, just about right for your A model.

Great idea! Nice installation. [cl

Has anybody thought of using the front shock spring combination
of a 2002 trailblazer for a project?

Carolina Auto supply has them for about $70 each spring and shock.
If you have a tax number.

Thanks for the wisdom Turbo T, this has had me hung up for a bit and I'm headed down to the local pick n pull. great tip.

Latest posts

Back