SB chevy Valve Cover Adapters to put SB Ford valve covers on it

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
l wonder if these would help the problem small block chevys have leaking oil outta valve covers.

l have thought about some company making aluminum heads with a 6 or 8 bolt pattern and there own valve cover to fix this problem.

they could make stock to radical and with a patent corner & the market.

here is a adapter that uses small block ford valve covers.

trouble is 250 bucks is a lot of money and the ford valve covers ARE N0T included.

later:cool:

Attachments

• Small Block Chevy Valve Cover Adapters Able To Run Small Block Ford Valve Covers.jpg
    Small Block Chevy Valve Cover Adapters Able To Run Small Block Ford Valve Covers.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
My Chevy motor is having a hard enough time mentally driving around in a Ford. Ford underwear might put it over the line....[ddd:D

I have found with a set of aluminum valve covers and the best gaskets you can get the valve covers is the one spot my Chevy doesn't leak.:rolleyes:

SBC valve covers don't leak. Nor do any other properly attached valve covers.

Well... That is until BillyBob HamHands thinks he has to lean on the ratchet while tightening them down, thus warping and dooming them. Then they start leaking and he thinks the solution is to crank them down even harder. :rolleyes:

All you need is a GOOD valve cover (not chrome dress-up kit junk), a quality FelPro cork gasket, clean surfaces and PROPER torque. Not difficult.

If anyone thought those adapters were a good idea, I just saved you $230 and a whole lotta ugly on your engine. You're welcome... :cool:

I have found with a set of aluminum valve covers and the best gaskets you can get the valve covers is the one spot my Chevy doesn't leak.:rolleyes:

All you need is a GOOD valve cover (not chrome dress-up kit junk), a quality FelPro cork gasket, clean surfaces and PROPER torque. Not difficult.

Agreed!

Straight covers and a good cork gasket won't fail. I'll pay double or more for a nice, thick, cork Fel-Pro. (The cheap thin ones and those crappy rubber things go straight in the dumpster.)

I glue the gaskets to the covers so they stay put and can't be pinched or misaligned... R&R the covers a hundred times and the gasket won't leak.

Sorry, skull. I couldn't bring myself to put a Ford cover on anything but a Ford. I also couldn't do these fake "Hemi" covers. [S :confused: [S

index.php

}{ !

Dr Crankenstein "Sorry, skull. I couldn't bring myself to put a Ford cover on anything but a Ford. I also couldn't do these fake "Hemi" covers. "

l really think their for the people who want others to think they still have a ford in a ford, but most of us gearheads can tell what a motor brand is by distributor location or lack of, water pump and several little other tell tale signs.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
I painted the SBC in my Lincoln Ford blue. You'd be surprised how many people didn't notice the distributor was on the wrong end.
Wasn't really trying to fool anybody, I just didn't like the Chevy orange, and the can of Ford blue was handy....

Why did these need to be manufactured?! :confused:

The Hemi ones are so much worse! This is about on par with people gluing rubber rats onto their "ratrod".

Like the others have pointed out, good quality gaskets, straight valve cover flanges or better yet rigid cast aluminum covers and properly cleaned surfaces are the solution to leaks. Those adapters to bolt on Ford covers or others still only mount with the 4 Chevy perimeter or center bolts so you wouldn't get any superior clamping force but you would have a greater chance of leaks with 2 gaskets per side....
More isn't always better - I've seen Olds engines which have 8 bolts per cover leaking like crazy because of over zealous wrench monkeys....

The Fel-Pro gaskets with steel core are great for valve covers with sealing issues, like the cheap chrome ones you get in the normal parts store dress-up kit. I've never had much luck with cork gaskets, I stick to rubber gaskets. They're a easier and more reliable to re-use if need be.

It might not leak on the Ford side but the cheby side is still a crappy rough cast gasket surface with only 4 bolts clamping . 4 tiny bolts.
Before chevy finally ditched the poor design (It only took 33 years) they were gluing them on with red silicon and no gasket. Which was almost a guarantee to destroy the light gauge sheet metal valve covers to get them off. I learned to do bodywork trying to straighten cheby valve covers

Latest posts

Back