Can I make this steering setup safe?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always sell that chain and gears back..

I picked up my 32 ford couple weeks ago. I went for my first drive today its all over the road. If u go 25-30 its ok anything more its wonders all over the road. Should I start over or try to fix this set up? Thanks

to the guy who owns the transfer case they came out of...... :D or scrap them.... sure makes you want to go Burrrrrrrrr!!

I'm guessing that has some bad bump steer too.

It was probably built by one of those folk who religiously preach "the drag link has to be horizontal and parallel to the hairpin", with absolutely no idea why they think that. :rolleyes:

If you went to all the trouble of a chain drive linkage, you would at least surely put the Pitman arm in the right place, but then that gear wheel would be dragging on the ground.....[;)

looks like you have a good start there. just clean up and fix the safety issues and you should be good. Looks like the only reason they went to the chain is because the box is backwards to hang the pitman arm down like normal. get a box that turn the right way, mount it in the same spot and hang the arm an that should fix that issue. [P[;)

I'm thinking of doing a reversed corvair steering box. I want to keep the cowl steering set up. Is gas alley street rods a good place to get the box and adapter? I will post pics of the progress of getting this car safe. Thanks

Some people have ridiculed the mounting system for the Gas Alley setup, but I don't see anything there that couldn't be beefed up to suit yourself if needed. I like the cowl setups also. There was a installation article in Street Rodder magazine a while back using the Gas Alley setup. I'll poke around and see if I can find it if you want.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back