Useing a model T front axle........... what are the pros and cons?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtrodder

I am asking if a Model T front axle would be a good choice for a ratrod project or not. Im not sure of the year they are, but I have a chance to pick one up for $35 or 2 for $50. Im building a vw ratrod so the weight in the front is very minamal. So my question is, would this be a good choice to use, considering the price, and they are hub to hub complete. Please let me have your pros OR cons on useing this axle or not... Thanks......

And yes I know its not going to look like all your ratrods but I have to start somewhere and this is all I can find here in vermont.. I already have the roof chopped 7in, front end moved out 10in, and going to chop it in half and make a truck out of it, but anyways......... INFO PLEASE...... Thanks

I don't know if anybody makes a brake kit for T axles. Those brakes are mechanical, and you for sure want good brakes up front, disc or drum, and those mechanicals won't be good.

Lots of better axles out there, from Model A to 50's pickup axles that have good hydraulic brakes on them and can be adapted easily. Keep looking, they are out there..........

Do you have pictures of them?

This may help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 33
I don't know if anybody makes a brake kit for T axles. Those brakes are mechanical, and you for sure want good brakes up front, disc or drum, and those mechanicals won't be good.

Lots of better axles out there, from Model A to 50's pickup axles that have good hydraulic brakes on them and can be adapted easily. Keep looking, they are out there..........

X's 2 ^^^^
There is a reason that Model T front axles are fairly cheap. Nobody uses them for anything other than Model T's and perhaps to cobble together a trailer of sorts.
No where near strong enough and don't really have options as far as converting to hydrualics. Just an FWIW as Model T's didn't have front brakes. Brakes in the rear that were engaged via a hand lever and a Planetary Trans set up that acted like a Brake.
Old Henry's thought was that if people had 4 wheel brakes they would drive to fast.:eek::eek:
Keep on looking......
Torchie.

You might get it to work. I don't think they're strong enough for today's speeds. And I have no idea what type of brakes you could use.

Attachments

• Model_T_axle10.jpg
    Model_T_axle10.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 37
X's 2 ^^^^
There is a reason that Model T front axles are fairly cheap. Nobody uses them for anything other than Model T's and perhaps to cobble together a trailer of sorts.
No where near strong enough and don't really have options as far as converting to hydrualics. Just an FWIW as Model T's didn't have front brakes. Brakes in the rear that were engaged via a hand lever and a Planetary Trans set up that acted like a Brake.
Old Henry's thought was that if people had 4 wheel brakes they would drive to fast.:eek::eek:
Keep on looking......
Torchie.

I was thinking the 26-27 ones had 4 wheel mechanicals, but I might be wrong. Long time since I looked at one.

arn't all model t's wood spoked wheels ? anything else won't fit that hub will it ?

No, the 26-27 T's had wire wheels IIRC.

Hang it on the wall as garage art, that is the only thing they are good for. You will never find spindles and brakes to make anything worthwhile out of it. There are so many parts available for Model A front axles that it only makes sense to use one of those or a later one.

Don

Hi guys. I ended up picking these two axles up for $50, but it was before the replies came in. Here are a couple pics of what I ended up getting. Im thinking they will be beefy enough since it is going under a vw bug that will have next to no weight in the front except the gas tank. Anyways, let me know what you think...... Good or bad... Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_094543.jpg
    IMG_20140713_094543.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20140713_095112.jpg
    IMG_20140713_095112.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 53
Like the other said, there are no pros to the T axle, no brake mounting, no wheels fit it.

That being said, after looking at the pic of the VW front end, there is one possibility to make it work - if the VW ball joints could be adapted to the ends of the T axle - and that's a big if - it might work.....
I'd feel safer using t he T axle on a go-kart myself.

There is no reason in the world to use one of those axles under anything except a stock model T. It has nothing to do with strength, it has to do with adaptability. There are no decent spindles to use with them, no brake kits, and no wheels..........period. There is nothing in those pictures that is usable under a modern day car, not the axle, spring, spindles, etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but take the advice of people who have been doing this stuff for lots and lots of years. Consider the $50 gone and move on to find a later (28 on up to 48) front end where some of the components can be used. You might find a model T guy who needs those parts and might get some of your money back.

Don

Yep, looks like you spent $50 on yard ornaments lol. Why not just use the VW front suspension, as brake parts and anything else you can think of is available and cheap.

Yep, looks like you spent $50 on yard ornaments lol. Why not just use the VW front suspension, as brake parts and anything else you can think of is available and cheap.

Thats what im going to do... Use the king pin spindles and brakes ect. Was just wondering if the model T axle was any good and how different it compares to the A, except for an easier conversion and more easily ready parts.

Be sure and start a build thread here. We like VW rods.

Not sure if your kidding or not being all I have seen on here for builds are the real, old coupe/truck styles so wasnt sure if a VW ratrod would count, but I will be sure to do that. I do have some picks from the start of my build to now, which is not much, lol, but a start...... Thanks..... I will post some pics in the build thread soon...

No, he isn't kidding, we love VW's in all forms. My first car was a 57 bug. I would love to build one of the ones Speedway sells the front end kit for to make it into a fenderless hot rod.

Post pictures as you go.

Don

thanks alot guys. I have some pics on a memory stick from when I first got it to what it looks like now. I will get some posted up later today. Thats what im building is a fenderless volksrod with a roof chop and extended front end. Thanks for all your replies as well, good or bad but like I said, I have VERY limited resorces here in vermont so I have to work with what I can get. I WILL make that front end work....:D

. I WILL make that front end work....:D

I said to myself when I was typing my suggestions "Save your breath, this guy is never going to listen anyway." Looks like I was right. :rolleyes:

Have fun, and when you end up scrapping the whole thing because you are working with an unworkable setup, don't say we didn't tell you. Some people just have to learn for themselves. All we can do is give someone the benefit of our years of experience, then they take it from there.

Don

Latest posts

Back