Rear susp 4 link set up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

I put a triangulated 4 link under my 51 Dodge. I decided to go with a bunch more power and was thinking of going narrowed rear end so I can install a lot more tire. The 4 bar I have now is a pretty weak set up, but I do have a decent set of coil overs. My question is, has anyone run a regular 4 link, moly heim joints, drag style, on the street? I'm curious about noise and harshness. I've ran them in drag cars but noise wasn't a factor then. I've looked at several 4 bar set ups, but they look like there would be some deflection and a question on strength with the poly ends. What do you all think would be best with 650 to 700 HP? this will see some strip duty is why I'm concerned, I want it safe is my main priority.

I drive this car on the street all the time.
4 link, heim joints and 14" Mickey slicks.
I never hear any noise of any kind.
The engine with nitrous puts out 1071 horse.

Attachments

• GTO bitmap.jpg
    GTO bitmap.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Old Iron, that is a sweet ride, you don't see a lot of those anymore. What are you running in it?

When you think about 4 link setups used on drag cars, they are mostly designed to handle a lot of power and also usually a parallel setup with a Panhard bar or Watts link to center it. Triangulated 4 links might put more strain on the ends though poly bushings may soften the blow a bit. Whatever mounting method used, strength of the mounting tabs is very important and whatever ends are used - Heim joints or poly bushed - use the best quality, largest physical size ones you can. Proper maintenance (lubrication) of Heim joints is also a key factor in longevity and quieter operation.

I've been searching for a set up with a large strong poly type bushing with no luck. The only thing I was worried about with poly joints was them twisting more on launch. My panhard bar will have solid, heim, joints on both ends. I've messed around with a lot of 4 links, but they were all in drag cars. This street stuff is new to me.

Think I'll go with checker racing. They have a pretty stout 4 bar set up, coil overs, panhard bar, and a front crossmember with a driveshaft loop, all for $565. Or I can do the 4 link, moly heims, for $625. Don't really want to cut up the floor and trunk, so the 4 bar would probably be best. A lot of people around here have had stuff done there, their stuff is good quality.

Latest posts

Back