donor trcuk/car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clcutlass

got a cab...motor and tranny.

Thinking on building a frame for a my 51 ford and going fenderless. What are some options for a front suspension....without buying from a dealer.

I have a set of frame plans...both suicide and traditional. I am leaning towards traditional.

Are there any cars/trucks that I can go to the local bone yard/scrap dealer and get something off.

I was hoping for something in the last 20 years...near impossible to find anything that old here

sub frame

Nova/Camaro sub frame is what l used on my 48 dodge, works great, you can still buy everything to rebuild it and it gives a great handling/driving feel for almost any situation & adapting motor mounts for other kind of power plants is fairly easy. there usually easy to find and not to expensive to purchase, already has disc brakes and power steering option if ya want it.

Later :cool:.

Attachments

• $_10 (1).jpg
    $_10 (1).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
I've heard of folks using a 2wd cherokee front axle. I've also seem a few guys use a split I beam from a ford truck. Those are pretty common. Not my favorite aesthetically but they work.

What fits into you budget and 'you" like the look of (as apposed to others) :D
IFS works very well, if your thinking mustang II [S think pinto, same thing and much cheaper. [cl I got a whole car for $50 :)

Ford Crown Vic Late model cars have a fine front suspension That adapts well to frame trucks. Steering, brakes, springs/shocks with aluminum A frames, all in a unit..

Straight axle donors are getting rare. Chevy Vans in the late 60s early 70s are
the 'newest' I can think of. A good welder can fab them up if you know one --then there's always Speedway..

Low rider/bagger guys fab up some interesting A frames that might be an option for an open wheeled modern suspension.

1951 F1 frame /suspension

I got a tip on a 1951 F1 frame that is in good shape. I dont like the leaf springs for a fenderless look. Can these be removed and coil overs or bags be used. Can the suspension be turned into a suicide suspension with this.

He wants 600.00....the motor or tranny does not go with it.

Attachments

• 1446311729420_resized.jpg
    1446311729420_resized.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 1446311730092_resized.jpg
    1446311730092_resized.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 25
Yes to all your questions.
I took this one from spring to coil overs.
You can move the axle out forward too.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 117
600 $ for a frame,seems kind of high to me.[ In my area ] Where are you at?

East coast of Canada..newfoundland. Very hard to get frames and parts like this. If Icahn use the frame and front end and get it for a little better price I may go for it.

Here's a couple examples of Chevy pickup axles converted to hairpin style mounts like an early Ford. They are 1941 (black) and 1955 (silver) , both riding on air but easily done with a cross leaf spring.

Attachments

• 2004 feb 29 003 a.jpg
    2004 feb 29 003 a.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 54
  • apr 05 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    apr 05 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 52
Here's a couple examples of Chevy pickup axles converted to hairpin style mounts like an early Ford. They are 1941 (black) and 1955 (silver) , both riding on air but easily done with a cross leaf spring.

So...is the axle modified to add the suspension link bars

Latest posts

Back